1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance learning theoretical/mathematical physics

1. Jun 6, 2015 #1
    Hi All

I completed a BSc degree in maths & physics just over 20 years ago. Since then I have studied and worked in unrelated areas but also kept a modest interest in maths and physics up and also done a couple of free online courses with the MOOCs (EdX and Coursera). Last year I decided I wanted to have a go at something more challenging and substantial so I took a course from the Open University (UK) MSc in maths (calculus of variations). I have thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt much more from being "pushed" through the material than I would have done off my own back.

The difficulty is that there aren't really any more courses in the limited selection the OU offer that excite me. There are a couple I could probably do but first I wanted to try and see if there is anything else out there of a more physics based nature. In an ideal world I would enrol on a distance learning theoretical physics MSc but I don't think one exists and my searches haven't found anything close. With a demanding fulltime job I can't really manage the demands of attending even a part-time campus based course. I don't need a qualification, this is for personal enjoyment. I don't mind paying reasonable fees for something worthwhile.

Does anyone know of anything that might be suitable? Grateful thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks Greg. I think the lack of response gives me the answer I expected!

5. Jun 18, 2015 #4
    I'm studying physics, math and some chemistry at the OU in Israel. I don't know about the UK - here they have the basic selection of courses most people take in undergrad (QM, E&M, statistical, solid state, waves, nuclear, etc). I find it much harder than studying at a regular university (especially the fact that you're on your own, with no study buddies). If I was studying just for personal enjoyment I would just pick up some good text books and scrounge the internet for some online lectures. (The Perimeter Institute has several video lecture series on advanced theoretical physics). If you wanted to become serious about it, I think you would need the face-to-face discussions and idea exchange that you get in a regular university.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook