Distribution of stars by Metallicity and Redshift

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of estimating the chemical abundances at different ages of the universe by using data on the metallicity, redshift, and mass of stars. However, it is mentioned that there is no large database available with this information for individual stars, only for larger objects such as galaxies. This may require a new approach for the research.
pianoplayer98
Is there a large database that contains, for many stars, their estimated metallicities as well as their redshifts (or, equivalently, distances from us) and masses?

What I'm trying to do is estimate the chemical abundances at different ages of the universe. If I have the metallicity of a star at a given redshift, then I know both its age and its metallicity (and a rough estimate of the proportion of non-H/He elements). Then, if I have this data for varying "weighted metallicities" (metallicity by percentage * mass) for many different redshifts/ages, I can estimate the proportion of elements at varying ages.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Pianoplayer98, Welcome to Physics Forums!

I was unable to find any large databases with the information you seek. I found only these two:

The Astrophysical Journal, 595:L9-L12, 2003 September 20
The Age-Metallicity Relation of the Universe in Neutral Gas: The First 100 Damped Ly Systems
Jason X. Prochaska , Eric Gawiser , Arthur M. Wolfe , Sandra Castro , and S. G. Djorgovski
Received 2003 May 7; accepted 2003 August 8; published 2003 August 21
ABSTRACT
We discuss accurate metallicity measurements for 125 damped Ly (DLA) systems at 0.5 < z < 5
http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-4357/595/1/L9/fulltext/17371.text.html

++++++++++++++++=

A Catalogue of Damped Lyman Alpha Absorption Systems and Radio Flux Densities of the Background Quasars
S. J. Curran, J. K. Webb, M. T. Murphy, R. Bandiera, E. Corbelli and V. V. Flambaum
Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia 19(4) 455 - 474
Abstract
We present a catalogue of the 322 damped Lyman alpha absorbers
http://www.publish.csiro.au/index.cfm?paper=AS01077

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Are we able to determine metallicity of distant _stars_? I mean - do we have telescopes with resolution high enough to be used for single stars at the distances where the redshift becomes important? I suppose what we can measure is the average metallicity of much larger objects (galaxies?), but not stars.

Borek, good point! You are quite correct: the Damped Lyman Alpha systems referenced above certainly are not measurements of individual stars.

Thanks so much for the help. When beginning this research, I assumed that such data existed for particular stars and not just whole galaxies, since the age of stars in a galaxy can vary significantly. However, since this data doesn't exist for particular stars, only for large galaxies, I'll probably have to rethink what I'm trying to do an use a different approach.

1. What is the significance of studying the distribution of stars by metallicity and redshift?

The distribution of stars by metallicity and redshift provides important insights into the evolution and history of galaxies. It allows us to understand the chemical composition of stars and how it changes over time, as well as the movement of galaxies in the universe.

2. How do scientists determine the metallicity and redshift of stars?

Scientists use spectroscopy techniques to analyze the light emitted by stars and determine their metallicity and redshift. The amount of different elements present in a star's atmosphere can be deduced from the spectral lines in its light, while the redshift is calculated based on the shift of these lines towards longer wavelengths due to the expansion of the universe.

3. What does the distribution of stars by metallicity and redshift tell us about the age of the universe?

The distribution of stars by metallicity and redshift can give us an idea of the age of the universe by helping us understand the formation and evolution of galaxies. For example, the presence of older, more metal-poor stars in a galaxy suggests that it formed earlier in the universe's history.

4. How do scientists use the distribution of stars by metallicity and redshift to study the formation of galaxies?

By studying the distribution of stars by metallicity and redshift in different galaxies, scientists can track the formation and evolution of these galaxies over time. The metallicity and redshift can provide information about the star formation rate, the amount of gas in a galaxy, and the interactions between galaxies.

5. What are the potential implications of understanding the distribution of stars by metallicity and redshift?

Understanding the distribution of stars by metallicity and redshift can have various implications, including helping us better understand the origins of the elements in the universe, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the overall history of the universe. It can also aid in the search for habitable exoplanets and potential extraterrestrial life.