Distribution of stars in spiral galaxies

In summary, the speaker is looking for a simplified algorithm to model the distribution of stars in a spiral galaxy. They mention trying to Google it and getting overwhelmed, and ask for suggestions or terms to search for. The conversation also mentions starting with the virial theorem as a potential starting point.
MathsMonkey
I've been trying to locate an algorithm to model the distribution of stars in a spiral galaxy. Simple, I thought, I'll just Google it. However I quickly disappeared up my own black hole!

What I'm looking for is a simplified algorithm I can use to model n stars in a galaxy of size x (for example).

It doesn't need to be 100% accurate but allow a number of parameters to be tweaked to provide a model which I can then use with my own visualisations to display. 3rd party software is not what I need.

Anyone give me a rough idea or some better terms to be searching for?

Thanks in advance.

MM

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It might be helpful to start with virial theorem.
http://www.astro.cornell.edu/academics/courses/astro201/vt.htm
Nothing easy about this, as you may have surmised.

Thanks Chronos. I've started implementing some prototypes based around Virial now thanks to that link.

I was surprised a) just how complicated this area was and b) how there isn't much stuff already done in this area; examples that I could take as a starting point for my code...

1. How are stars distributed in spiral galaxies?

The distribution of stars in spiral galaxies can vary, but generally they are arranged in a pattern known as a spiral arm. These arms are made up of a dense concentration of stars, gas, and dust that extend out from the galaxy's center. The stars in these arms are typically young, hot, and blue, and are constantly forming from the gas and dust in the arm.

2. What causes the spiral shape of galaxies?

The spiral shape of galaxies is caused by a combination of the galaxy's rotation and the gravitational pull of neighboring galaxies. As the galaxy rotates, the stars and gas are pulled outward by the centrifugal force, creating the spiral arms. The gravitational pull of neighboring galaxies can also affect the shape and structure of a spiral galaxy.

3. Do all spiral galaxies have the same distribution of stars?

No, the distribution of stars in spiral galaxies can vary greatly. Some spiral galaxies have tightly wound arms, while others have more loosely defined arms. Additionally, the size and number of arms can also vary between spiral galaxies.

4. How do scientists study the distribution of stars in spiral galaxies?

Scientists use a variety of tools to study the distribution of stars in spiral galaxies, including telescopes, spectroscopy, and computer simulations. Telescopes allow us to observe and map the positions of stars within the galaxy. Spectroscopy allows us to analyze the chemical composition of stars in different parts of the galaxy. Computer simulations help us understand the dynamics and evolution of spiral galaxies.

5. Can the distribution of stars in a spiral galaxy change over time?

Yes, the distribution of stars in a spiral galaxy can change over time. As stars are constantly forming and dying, the overall structure and distribution of stars in a spiral galaxy can evolve. Additionally, interactions with other galaxies can also impact the distribution of stars in a spiral galaxy.