Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distribution of stars in spiral galaxies

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    I've been trying to locate an algorithm to model the distribution of stars in a spiral galaxy. Simple, I thought, I'll just Google it. However I quickly disappeared up my own black hole!!

What I'm looking for is a simplified algorithm I can use to model n stars in a galaxy of size x (for example).

It doesn't need to be 100% accurate but allow a number of parameters to be tweaked to provide a model which I can then use with my own visualisations to display. 3rd party software is not what I need.

Anyone give me a rough idea or some better terms to be searching for?

Thanks in advance.

MM

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 12, 2010 #3
    Thanks Chronos. I've started implementing some prototypes based around Virial now thanks to that link.

I was surprised a) just how complicated this area was and b) how there isn't much stuff already done in this area; examples that I could take as a starting point for my code...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook