DMSO smells like lemonade (very sweet)

• Thread starter michiel chemistry
  • Start date
In summary, a user recently bought DMSO (dimethyl sulphoxide) from CarlRoth and noticed a very sweet odor, unlike the typical garlic or "creamed-corn" smell. They suspect something is wrong and have contacted CarlRoth for clarification. It has been discovered that CarlRoth added a fragrance to their DMSO, possibly for use on bodies, as it was common among gymnasts in the 1980's. Additional information about DMSO and odors can be found at familydoctormag.com.
michiel chemistry
TL;DR Summary
DMSO smells very sweet, in stead of a garlic/ "creamed-corn" like odor. Is something wrong?
Hey,
I recently bought DMSO (dimethyl sulphoxide) from CarlRoth (>99.5% for synthesis). It gives a very sweet odor, like lemonade, which I think is a weird smell for DMSO. I suspect something is wrong, because it smells completely different than my previous bottle from CarlRoth. What do you think?

I already contacted CarlRoth but they haven't responded yet.

Thanks in advance,
Michiel

SOLVED: apparently, CarlRoth added a fragrance

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes jedishrfu
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Must be getting into a more lucrative market where they can charge more for less.

michiel chemistry said:
Summary: DMSO smells very sweet, in stead of a garlic/ "creamed-corn" like odor. Is something wrong?

SOLVED: apparently, CarlRoth added a fragrance
Sounds like a contaminant to me.

Maybe its intended for use on bodies. I had a room mate you was a gymnast once.
It was common to use for sore muscles among gymnasts in the 1980's.

Last edited:

What is DMSO and why does it smell like lemonade?

DMSO, or dimethyl sulfoxide, is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a solvent in laboratory and industrial settings. It has a distinct sweet smell that is often described as similar to lemonade. This smell is due to impurities in the DMSO, which can vary depending on the source and production process.

Is the sweet smell of DMSO harmful?

The sweet smell of DMSO is not harmful. In fact, DMSO is considered relatively safe for use in laboratory and medical settings. However, it is important to handle DMSO with caution and follow proper safety protocols, as it can irritate the skin and eyes in some individuals.

Can the smell of DMSO be reduced or eliminated?

Yes, the smell of DMSO can be reduced or eliminated by using high-quality, pure DMSO and storing it properly. Some manufacturers also offer odorless DMSO products. Additionally, the smell can be masked by using a fume hood or working in a well-ventilated area.

Why does the smell of DMSO vary from batch to batch?

The smell of DMSO can vary from batch to batch due to differences in the source and production process. Impurities in the DMSO can also contribute to the variation in smell. However, this does not affect the overall quality or effectiveness of the DMSO.

Is there any way to get rid of the sweet smell of DMSO?

Unfortunately, there is no way to completely get rid of the sweet smell of DMSO. However, as mentioned earlier, the smell can be reduced or masked by using high-quality, pure DMSO and proper storage and ventilation techniques.