Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DNA - Tracing your ancestors out of Africa

Tags:
  1. Feb 3, 2013 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was watching the National Geographic Genographic Project where they are collecting DNA from people worldwide and tracing their ancestor's migrations around the world.

You can be a part of the project by purchasing the Geno 2.0 Genographic Project Participation Kit. I think this would be fun to find out which migratory paths your ancestor's took. Some of the results were surprising. I think I'm going to do it (when I can spare $200). Kind of cool to be part of the project.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/...ic-project-participation-and-dna-ancestry-kit

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/about/

I know a few people I am quite certain are Neanderthals. :devil:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2
    That is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. I think I may have American Indian in me, but I don't know. This could tell me if I do? I'm white, but I may also have some black in me. It would be cool to know. I think I'll wait until someone else here does it.

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3

Evo

Yes, it can tell both of those things, definitely the American Indian. View the short video on the "about" link "Video: About the project".

5. Feb 3, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Just ordered mine!

6. Feb 3, 2013 #5

Evo

Oooh!!! You'll have to share the results when you get them!

7. Feb 3, 2013 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's tempting, but is the information really worth the price? I'd be interested in your findings Drakkith.

8. Feb 3, 2013 #7

Drakkith

I'm 10% plankton...interesting...

9. Feb 3, 2013 #8

Evo

It's worth it to me for the novelty of knowing, if nothing else. Plus you get included in the study and part of the cost goes back into funding the project. Finally, I will be contributing something to science. :cool: I think my kids will get a kick out of it. It's too bad the episode isn't available on the Nat Geo website, some of the people got some unexpected results. If my mother is correct, somewhere in my ancestry we came from another planet. :tongue2:

10. Feb 3, 2013 #9
    I did the http://www.23andme.com DNA testing last year and it was fairly interesting, but in the end, I don't really take much away from it. It doesn't do anything for me now.

11. Feb 3, 2013 #10

Evo

Isn't that mostly medical testing? This is nothing like it.

12. Feb 3, 2013 #11
    It has an ancestry section.

13. Feb 3, 2013 #12

Evo

From the project.

14. Feb 3, 2013 #13
    My cousin has been pestering me to go to a family tree dna testing site and have it done for genealogical purposes. It's $159 for mitochondrial, $169 for Y-chromosome, and $289 for both. It doesn't find relatives for you, it just compares known relatives. I don't see the point of it unless it is to show that you were adopted.

15. Feb 3, 2013 #14

Evo

That's not what this is either, it's not genealogical. This is that project that has been tracing the different migrations out of Africa, different paths taken and with markers in your dna (they have a huge database) they can determine which of the migrations and paths your ancestors took, going back to 40,000 to 60,000 years.

And then your data is added to the growing data base for the project.

I'm interested in knowing when my family went to Europe, was it before or during the ice age? Did they wander around and arrive after the ice age?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  16. Feb 3, 2013 #15
    That's pretty cool. If I was crazy enough, I would buy 2 of them, send in one sample with my DNA, and one with my dog's DNA just to see what his results are.

17. Feb 3, 2013 #16

Evo

Lol, the dog should throw them.

18. Feb 3, 2013 #17

phion

Gold Member

Neat! I want one.

19. Feb 3, 2013 #18
    Hm, interesting. I was doing some light searching of results and found 1 result from a person named Jeff that genotyped his ancestry in 2007, the first phase of this public collaboration with science.

http://jeffyen.blogspot.com/2007/10/my-dna-results-are-out-genographic.html

I was hesitant at first but now I would like my results after seeing Jeff's. I think it would be rather good to know as I am highly curious now.

20. Feb 3, 2013 #19

Evo

The link the other guy posted with the map was great too. Ok, now I need to beg, borrow and steal to get mine.

21. Feb 3, 2013 #20

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Fascinating idea!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook