Do car and truck experience equal momentum change in a head-on collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
jabbie3
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A compact car and a large truck collide head on and stick together (perfectly inelastic collison).

Which vehicle experiences the larger momentum change?

Which vehicle experiences the larger acceleration during the collision?

Explain your answers.

Homework Equations



p=mv
I=Ft

The Attempt at a Solution



I think that the truck has a larger momentum change because, first of all, it is conserved, so p=pfinal-initial

Assuming the velocities are the same, only the mass should affect the momentum. So that's why I thought the truck has a larger momentum change.

But I'm not sure..I look at I=Ft and the forces are equal, and so is the time..So would they have equal change in momentum?

HELP! thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The truck will carry on in the same direction with modified velocty, whereas the unfortunate car will find itself going backwards. Now which one has suffered the largest change in momentum? acceleration?