Do carburetor cars need oxygen sensor ?

In summary, some carburetor cars do have oxygen sensors, which measure the oxygen in exhaust gases and send this information to the engine control unit to help regulate the air/fuel mixture and improve fuel efficiency. It is recommended to replace the oxygen sensor every 50,000 miles or every 5 years, and a faulty sensor can negatively affect performance and should be replaced as soon as possible. While it is technically possible to drive a carburetor car without an oxygen sensor, it is not recommended as it can lead to reduced fuel efficiency and increased emissions.
anhtho
Hi all,

I just hear from a friend that in carburetored cars there are still O2 sensors (not all cars). I not sure the purpose of O2 sensor in this case. Could anyone help ?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some carbureted cars had electronically adjustable jets and used an O2 sensor to maintain a stoichiometric fuel/air ratio for the catalytic convertor.

Thanks insightful.
I have searched myself and find that some Honda car during the 1980s used programmable carburetor.

1. Do carburetor cars even have oxygen sensors?

Yes, some carburetor cars do have oxygen sensors. While most modern cars have fuel injection systems that use fuel injectors and an engine control unit to regulate the air/fuel mixture, there are still some older car models that use carburetors. These carburetor cars may have oxygen sensors to help regulate the air/fuel mixture and improve fuel efficiency.

2. What is the purpose of an oxygen sensor in a carburetor car?

The oxygen sensor in a carburetor car measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gases and sends this information to the engine control unit. The engine control unit then uses this information to adjust the air/fuel mixture to ensure optimal fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

3. How often should the oxygen sensor be replaced in a carburetor car?

The lifespan of an oxygen sensor can vary depending on driving habits and environmental conditions. In general, it is recommended to replace the oxygen sensor every 50,000 miles or at least every 5 years. However, it is important to refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for your specific car model.

4. Can a faulty oxygen sensor affect the performance of a carburetor car?

Yes, a faulty oxygen sensor can negatively impact the performance of a carburetor car. If the oxygen sensor is not functioning properly, the engine control unit may not receive accurate information about the air/fuel mixture, which can result in poor fuel efficiency and increased emissions. It can also cause the car to run rough or have difficulty starting.

5. Can I drive my carburetor car without an oxygen sensor?

Technically, you can drive a carburetor car without an oxygen sensor, but it is not recommended. Without the oxygen sensor, the engine control unit will not be able to accurately adjust the air/fuel mixture, which can lead to reduced fuel efficiency and increased emissions. It is important to replace a faulty oxygen sensor as soon as possible to ensure optimal performance and reduce environmental impact.