Do smarter people tend to be better looking?

• Thread starter kant
  • Start date
In summary, I found that people who are more attractive usually have less intelligence. They rely on their looks and neglect their minds. I think it's great to be intelligent, but it doesn't make you any more attractive. Jennifer Connelly and others like her are the exception, as they are both intelligent and attractive.
kant
This seem to be my experience. It is just a simple observation. Of couse, you could make some existential logical statement that there exist at least one girl or boy that is ugly, but smart. Obvious, what i mean of course is that it is geneally true that smart people tend to be beautiful. All my ex s are good damn hot, but they are also very bright girls. There was one that was in the math olympaid, one in the putman, one that was a 33 years old programmer etc... These girls are not just "hot" but "pure". there seem to be an air of sophistication about them...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eeh..Andrew Wiles? Susan Sontag? Stephen Hawking?

I would have to say that there is no relation between physical appearance and intelligence. If anything, I would say that the opposite of what you say is more true. From my observations, people who are very attractive sometimes rely on their attractiveness and neglect their mind.

It must be great to be you.

You'll agree to that, won't you?

Nice people keep looking better the more you get to know them.

arildno said:
Eeh..Andrew Wiles? Susan Sontag? Stephen Hawking?

jennifer connelly? ...

matthew baird said:
I would have to say that there is no relation between physical appearance and intelligence. If anything, I would say that the opposite of what you say is more true. From my observations, people who are very attractive sometimes rely on their attractiveness and neglect their mind.

i think the not so attractive people tend to be more hardworking. Perhaps that is why you say they have more brains.

Chi Meson said:
It must be great to be you.

You'll agree to that, won't you?

How do you know?

I think you just got lucky.

Most of the attractive people I know are the stupidest people I have ever met! They are soo self absorbed that they have no clue about the real world and what's going on around them.

then there is the likes of me who think yesterdays ugly is todays cool,
why am i stuck in thursday.

And you said that I was way behind?! :tongue:

Someone being intelligent makes them much, much, much more attractive.

I use to be cute and smart...now I'm ugly and dumb! ha!

Danger said:
And you said that I was way behind?! :tongue:

No i said you were a

At this point, I guess we should just lock this...

1. Do genetics play a role in both intelligence and physical attractiveness?

Yes, genetics do play a role in both intelligence and physical attractiveness. Studies have shown that there is a correlation between certain genes and both cognitive abilities and physical characteristics such as facial symmetry and body proportions.

2. Is there a direct causal relationship between intelligence and physical attractiveness?

No, there is not a direct causal relationship between intelligence and physical attractiveness. While there may be some overlap in genetic factors, there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that being more intelligent automatically makes someone more physically attractive.

3. Can a person's level of education impact their physical attractiveness?

No, a person's level of education does not directly impact their physical attractiveness. However, education can influence certain factors such as lifestyle choices, grooming habits, and access to resources that can indirectly affect one's physical appearance.

4. Are there cultural or societal biases that influence perceptions of intelligence and physical attractiveness?

Yes, cultural and societal biases can greatly impact how intelligence and physical attractiveness are perceived. For example, certain features or characteristics may be considered more attractive in one culture while being seen as less attractive in another. Similarly, societal stereotypes and prejudices can influence how intelligence is perceived in different groups of people.

5. Can intelligence and physical attractiveness be improved through external factors?

While intelligence and physical attractiveness may have some genetic components, both can also be influenced and improved through external factors such as education, nutrition, and exercise. However, it is important to note that these factors may not have the same impact on everyone and there is no guarantee that they will lead to significant changes in one's intelligence or physical appearance.