Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guys need to do almost nothing to be great

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    An Excerpt from Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

I tried to follow it but miserably failed :cry:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2
    If I put a hand on "her" back at a party, my super hot possessive girlfriend would dis-own me in an instant ( if she ever saw me do it ).

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    Interesting list. :)

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4
    I've always liked the peacoat look.

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5
    13. Concentrate most compliments to those times when she is expecting them (when she dresses up nice) and compliment rarely when she is not expecting it.

I had the wonderful feeling one day of having a girlfriend tell me that some other guy had told her she was beautiful and it had made her day. I would tell her she was beautiful all the time, especially when her hair was messy and she didn't have make up on (I really liked that though), and she would just roll her eyes at me.

7. Nov 14, 2011 #6
    It's almost like they don't believe you! I rarely compliment anyone though...

8. Nov 14, 2011 #7

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Ugh, I have too may shoes, then!

Black dress shoes
    Brown dress shoes
    Black oxfords (never wear them)
    Steel toed shoes
    Sneakers
    Puma driving shoes
    Slippers

But I do have my cool go-to drink: "anything with alcohol, bartender..." or "a can of your finest Pabst Blue Ribbon, please."

9. Nov 14, 2011 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

No thanks.

I would help in the kitchen or just help out as I've done in the past. In fact, that's more or less how I spent time with the woman became my wife. We both helped at gatherings at our friends place. It was a nice opportunity to talk about various subjects and getting to know each other.

10. Nov 14, 2011 #9

FlexGunship

Gold Member

As a guy, I find that the most reliable way for me to get a repeat invite to a party is to stay the f**k out of the kitchen.

Although, I'll happily aid anyone making a home repair, debugging an electrical problem, fixing an appliance, or chopping wood.

11. Nov 14, 2011 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Flex, you need to find your strengths. Even though I could cook circles around my mother-in-law ~35+ years ago, she wanted me out of her kitchen until she needed someone to split those rock-hard Hubbard squashes and to hoist those huge turkeys out of the roasting pan. Get in, git 'er done, and get out and stay out of the way. Women always think that their kitchens are "too small" so help when asked and hover on the sidelines when you can.

My kitchen is 'way too small. My wife and I can't function there together because we both have our own patterns and we clash, getting in each other's way. I'd probably have trouble as a chef because I'd want all the kitchen and tools to myself.

12. Nov 14, 2011 #11

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I burnt spaghetti once which I'm told is not a common feat. How can I turn that into a strength? What about my innate ability to forget that there's something cooking? Or my willingness to solve any flavor problem with salt and hot sauce?

Opening jars, crushing hard-to-crush things, and carrying groceries are about my limits in the kitchen. Pretty good with a bottle opener, too, actually.

13. Nov 14, 2011 #12

turbo

Gold Member

I solve lots of "problems" with hot sauce (and perhaps a bit of salt) because I love hot sauce. Opening jars, using a can-opener, and other utilitarian time-savers for the cook might be welcome, if you can stay out of their way. I'll bet that with a bit of training you can learn how to peel potatoes and carrots, too. I don't know a single cook that prefers to do those mundane tasks when they could be tending to making that *perfect* meal.

If you're invited to your GF's parents' for a holiday meal, and you ask if you can peel potatoes, carrots, etc, you will be a KEEPER. No fooling. If you plant your butt in front of the TV watching team sports (even if her father is doing the same) you will not get the KEEPER tag.

14. Nov 14, 2011 #13

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Good to know.

I tried to peel a potato once. I saw a YouTube video of how you can do it with just a knife and ice water. I spent a while convincing my girlfriend (at the time) to let me peel the potatoes this way... it didn't work... at all. Then when I just took the knife to peel it she kept telling me I was either being too meticulous and taking too long or that I was losing too much potato with each knife stroke.

Carrots... hmm... I bet I could peel a carrot.

I like bring helpful, it's something my parents instilled in me when I was young... but they also instilled some serious gender-role stuff too. I impulsively shovel driveways and scrape cars in the winter. I change lightbulbs. I reset breakers. I start fires. I fix appliances. I mow the lawn. I rake leaves. I can grill like a beast (meat mostly, although corn, squash, and zucchini are within my abilities). I do regular vehicle maintenance. And I've always felt responsible for finances (in serious relationships).

15. Nov 14, 2011 #14

wolram

Gold Member

It sounds like i have no chance of pulling a bird, i only have my wellies or trainers, mind you with a bit of polish i can get my wellies gleaming.
    I do have a black suit but the jacket arms are to small, i look like a penguin when i were it, i usually were jeans and my leather jacket to parties.
    I do not need a comb i have a no 1 haircut once a year, people do not notice my bald patch so much.
    I do have my favorite after shave, i all ways use old spice.
    and i all ways stick to drinking rum and coke in a pint glass shaken not stir ed.

16. Nov 14, 2011 #15
    Call her babe. It's rare these days because of women's lib. That's exactly why she'll crumble.

17. Nov 14, 2011 #16

turbo

Gold Member

But Babe is a runt piglet. Sure, she can herd sheep, but she's still a pig.

That'll do, pig.

18. Nov 14, 2011 #17

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I like calling my girlfriend "baby girl." And she enjoys "baby." That's among the million other things I call her... I invent new ones whenever possible. Sometimes they go over well, sometimes they don't! Try to guess which of the following names are NOT popular with her.
    • <her name>kins
    • <her name>darling
    • <her name>girl
    • Princess
    • Pretty pretty princess
    • Princess pretty bum
    • Baroness von Derriere
    • Duchess <her full name including middle> The First
    • Sleeping beauty (she sleeps in on the weekends... and some weekdays :rolleyes:)
    • Baby
    • Baby girl
    • Babe'ums
    • Cute stuff
    • Cutie
    • Cuddle bunny
    • Snugglesaurus Rex
    • Solar-powered giggle-tron (because she's in such a good mood when it's sunny and warm out)
    • Angel
    • Angel bottom
    • Hun
    • Pumpkin
    • Cupcake
    • Cookie
    • Muffin
    • Internet (because she knows how much I love the internet)

Ultimately, most things end up being about her, uh, rear end... or food. When I [very rarely] sing to her, I put her name in the song randomly. She has a two-syllable easy-to-rhyme name which really helps.

She's a very self-empowered individual with a good career and she loves it when I tell her what a good little housewife she'll be.

19. Nov 15, 2011 #18

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Mush overload. I'm melting.

20. Nov 15, 2011 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Like a witch, damn it, not a quivering lass.

21. Nov 15, 2011 #20
    I would not wear Chuck Taylors even if it meant no more sex.Pea-coats give me a break .Chuck Taylors and Pea-coats :rofl:.These lists are ridiculous. They are always made by some women that thinks that her ideal man is that of every other women.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook