Do you crave sweets more when the economy gets bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Economy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 7K views
lisab said:
Best thing to do with all that Halloween candy: give it to coworkers (fellow students, in your case). That's what I do, and I figure two good things come of it: it makes my coworkers happy, and I get rid of it.

I spent a good part of today giving out candy. Anyone who came into my office got a Hershey bar :smile:.

Haha, yeah that's true. Or for guests when they come over. It's funny when I get guests and they want chips, and I'm like... I don't have any.

I eat poutine instead. :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
JasonRox said:
Haha, yeah that's true. Or for guests when they come over. It's funny when I get guests and they want chips, and I'm like... I don't have any.

I eat poutine instead. :biggrin:

If you ever come to the Seattle area, let me know. All the Canadians here tell me there's only one place that has good poutine (it's actually in Port Townsend, on the Olympic Peninsula). I went there, read a description of what it is...it made my heart hurt, haha :smile:.
 
I walked through an office lined with cubicles today - nearly everyone had a bowl, basket, or bag of candy displayed.
 
WhoWee said:
I walked through an office lined with cubicles today - nearly everyone had a bowl, basket, or bag of candy displayed.

It is the week after Halloween, and people need to do something to get rid of all the leftover candy. I treated my students to candy in class Tuesday. I do keep a candy dish in my office, but am almost never the person eating from it. I usually am the first to know when someone starts or ends a diet, though, because I either see them less or more frequently as they appear in my office to raid the candy dish. Though, sometimes I don't even fill it myself either. The custodian will stop by and refill it with his own supply of chocolates if it starts to get low. And, of course, in return, he's always welcome to let himself in for a snack even if I'm not in my office (he works the evening shift).
 
Evo said:
No this goes on all year, I just noticed more shows on sweets this year, perhaps because I was home two months this summer after my surgery and watched more food tv. It was show after show about these candy shops, donut shops, muffins shops, all that made ridiculous creations.

I just wasn't aware that there was such a fad for these places.

It could also be that you weren't able to eat much during that recovery so noticed all the shows about food and sweets even more than usual. :biggrin:
 
Included in my customer base are a number of companies from the food industry. It is generally considered to be a fact that junk food does well in a bad economy. The reasoning is that people replace more expensive actitivies, like going out to dinner or the movies, with home activities seasoned with relatively inexpensive treats like potato chips and candy bars. I had a number of offers to go back on the road for the food industry [junk food] when the economy was down and most companies were dumping employees.

IIRC, McDonalds was also doing quite well when the economy was hitting bottom.

I would have to be starving before I go on the road again. :biggrin:
 
Last edited: