Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you guys find it easier to sing in the shower?

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    I am a terrible singer and I would never, under any circumstances, sing in my home even if there is no one.

But when I am in the shower, I sing like non-stop. Do you guys do this? Why is ti easier and more comfortable to sing in the shower?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What the heck's wrong with you that you won't even sing when you're alone at home?

Don't' worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song.

Sing out loud, sing out strong.

Sing of good things, not bad.

Sing of happy, not sad.

Wait! That would rule out singing "No Children" by The Mountain Goats. So disregard that part about singing about good things and happy things. Sing about dysfunctional things, too.

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3
    The walls are not sound-proof, my neighbors might hear me. But if the waters are running...

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" 50 times a day. They'll move and your rent will go down.

6. Aug 24, 2011 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

For the record: the water running does not drown out your voice for anyone but you. Your neighbors will hear you just fine. In fact, they won't hear the high freqs of the water at all, but your low freq voice carries well.

BTW, the reason singing works in the shower is because of the reflectivity and harmonics. It makes a quiet, weak voice sound strong.

7. Aug 24, 2011 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I love "No Children" by The Mountain Goats. And I hope you die....I hope we both die...

8. Aug 24, 2011 #7
    No but maybe the walls in the bathrooms are reinforced? I can't imagine the disgusting sounds people make doing number two. I am sure it is sound-proof.

9. Aug 24, 2011 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At least the neighbors don't keep pestering me to borrow a cup of sugar anymore.

Not everyone lives on Old Milwaukee, Pace Picante Sauce, and Doritos. :yuck: (My poor dog started whining in her sleep when I even typed that diet regimen.)

Start eating healthier!

10. Aug 24, 2011 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Did I get some wires crossed? :biggrin:

11. Aug 24, 2011 #10

Evo

One of my favorite songs/bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVS5rpPW5Pg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Aug 24, 2011 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

^ Wow, what a wonderful depressing song!! I like.

13. Aug 24, 2011 #12

Evo

It's very funny. :biggrin:

14. Aug 24, 2011 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you should do is put your headphones on, play your favorite CD, and sing along to that. That's always entertaining to anyone that happens by.

15. Aug 24, 2011 #14

Pythagorean

Gold Member

To expedite the process, I suggest learning Elmos version.

16. Aug 24, 2011 #15
    I love their songs! :!!)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. Aug 24, 2011 #16
    I sing alot :) in the car, at home, in the shower, at work (yes, I do work in a tight space with others, we all do it), etc... There is never a bad time to sing

18. Aug 24, 2011 #17
    The reverberation overtones due to the enclosed walls of the bathroom gives more bass to the sound. Higher bass is more appealing to male voice. Hence men are usually the bathroom singers than women.

19. Aug 25, 2011 #18
    It's fine, so long as the neighbors don't mind. You ought to hear what it sounds like during a sat dive. The problem is, the neighbors usually do mind.

20. Aug 25, 2011 #19
    Bass is also omni-directional, meaning it is difficult for the human ear to tell what direction it is coming from. Soft surfaces like water absorb bass, while hard surfaces reflect it making the overall effect in a shower similar to that of digital compression. The minor imperfections are obscured, while the overall sound is amplified. Because of the close proximity of the walls you even get a bit of a reverberation effect depending on how far off center you stand. Since the bass is omni-directional it all blends into a single sound that seems to come from all directions at once.

The loudest echos result when the shower ceiling is low and your ear is about 3/4 the distance from the floor. Thus even people with high pitched voices can enjoy singing in the shower thanks to the better then average acoustics they often provide. The loud sound of the falling water also provides people with a sense of security that their every mistake won't be criticized by others. Singing has often been described as "controlled screaming" and the less inhibited they feel and the more feedback they can receive using echos or headsets the better.

21. Aug 25, 2011 #20
    I actually had a thought about this the other day I think I know why people sing in the shower. It's a combination of super boring with the fact that most people I think get a bit scared that they are going to be trapped in the shower and an evil clown will pop out of the drain and eat them! This is all of course a result of you know what movie. So the reason people sing is the shower is ET phone home.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook