Do you guys think this will work?

• Thread starter brandontran87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a locking mechanism using a powerful magnet, specifically a permanent magnet and an electromagnet. The traditional way to do this is with a solenoid, but using a permanent magnet can cause demagnetization over time. It is suggested to use two opposing electromagnets to avoid this issue. The conversation also touches on the concept of fail-safe and fail-secure designs for the mechanism.
brandontran87
I am making a locking mechanism with a very powerful magnet. The electromagnet in the diagram is held in place. Basically when the electromagnet turns on it will push the permanent magnet out. Here is a picture of what I want to do.
http://www.mypicx.com/05202009/fas/

Engineering news on Phys.org
brandontran87 said:
I am making a locking mechanism with a very powerful magnet. The electromagnet in the diagram is held in place. Basically when the electromagnet turns on it will push the permanent magnet out. Here is a picture of what I want to do.
http://www.mypicx.com/05202009/fas/

Welcome to the PF. The traditional way to do that function is with a solenoid, which attracts a ferrous bolt into a soltnoid with the current flows through the solenoid (Quiz Question -- why does it attract the bolt?).

The problem with using a permanent magnet to be repelled by the coil field, is that the coil field will tend to demagnetize the permanent magnet over time. If you could use two opposing electromagnets, you would not have that problem. But the traditional solenoid arrangement is usually the most cost-effective arrangement for generating linear forces with a current input.

I see. So what you're saying is that I should build a solenoid of some sort and maybe place an iron bolt inside that is spring loaded? That is very interesting. Do they sell these things or do you think it's better for me to make it myself?

edit: lol nvm, you don't have to answer that. Just found out what latching solenoids are. heh thanks man!

Another question. Why will the coil field demagnetize the permanent magnet?

Last edited:
brandontran87 said:
Another question. Why will the coil field demagnetize the permanent magnet?

Just as a magnetic field in one direction is used to magnetize the magnet, a magnetic field in the opposite direction will serve to demagnetize it (or even magnetize it in the opposite direction, if the field is stong enough).

A permanent magnet is just a magnetic material with magnetization at one end of its hysteresis loop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_hysteresis#Magnetic_hysteresis

One thing to consider while designing this thing is whether you want it 'fail safe' or 'fail secure'. Ie: if the electromagnet loses power, do you want the door unlocked or locked?

Ie, many commercial buildings use purely magnetic locks (a magnet literally holds the door closed). They release when power is lost, which can be advantageous for an emergency.

russ_watters said:
Ie, many commercial buildings use purely magnetic locks (a magnet literally holds the door closed). They release when power is lost, which can be advantageous for an emergency.

Those are internal doors, obviously. Our elevators are also designed to drop to Floor 1 and open their doors in emergencies. We test those things pretty regularly.

berkeman said:
Those are internal doors, obviously. Our elevators are also designed to drop to Floor 1 and open their doors in emergencies. We test those things pretty regularly.
Yes. And ironically, the opposite also exists (didn't think of it when I wrote that last post). Fire doors can be propped open normally if they are held open by a magnet, closing (but not locking) in the event of a fire to stop it from spreading.

Related to Do you guys think this will work?

1. Can you guarantee that this will work?

As a scientist, it is important to understand that there are no guarantees in scientific research. While we can make educated predictions and conduct experiments to support our hypotheses, there is always a chance that our results could differ from our expectations. It is important to approach research with an open mind and be prepared to accept any outcome.

2. How confident are you that this will work?

Confidence in a scientific experiment or study is based on the evidence and data collected. The more consistent and reliable the data is, the higher the confidence level. However, it is important to always acknowledge any limitations or uncertainties in the research and be open to further investigation.

3. What are the potential risks or side effects of this working?

As scientists, we always consider the potential risks and side effects of our research. This could include harm to participants, negative impacts on the environment, or unintended consequences. It is our responsibility to carefully weigh these risks and take necessary precautions to minimize them.

4. How long will it take for this to work?

The timeline for a scientific experiment or study varies greatly depending on the research question, methods used, and potential obstacles. It is important to have realistic expectations and understand that scientific progress takes time. Rushing through research can often lead to unreliable results.

5. What is the likelihood of this working?

The likelihood of a scientific experiment or study working is based on the evidence and data collected. This is often represented by statistical significance, which shows the probability that the results were not due to chance. A high level of statistical significance indicates a higher likelihood of the research being successful.