Do You Have 4 Eyes? Poll on PF Members

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlbertEinstein
  • Start date Start date

Do u wear spectacles?


  • Total voters
    57
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
47 replies · 7K views
I wear glasses. Huge ones. I've got 1.9-index glass lenses... and I'm at -11.25 on the left eye, and -10.75 on the right one. For the left eye, there's -3 for astigmatism as well, since I have a scar in the middle of my cornea, right through the optical center... can you tell my vision sucks without glasses?

I'm just 17. but I've begun this at age 5, and went down one whole point per year, until lately. I've been stable for a year now.

Used to wear contacts, but the incident implying the scar in my eye now prohibits the use of contacts to not reopen the wound.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Substantial astigmatism.

Edit: When I was a grad student, I had something going on with a girl, whom I'll call Betsy, who worked as a bartender. Late one afternoon, I walked into the (nearly empty) bar, which was long and narrow, looking for Betsy. I was without glasses, since I had just broken my only pair. I looked around, didn't "see" Betsy, but did the see manager, who was sitting at the end of the bar nearest the door. I asked the manager "Is Betsy here?". Looking puzzled, he replied "Why don't you ask the batender?" I walked towards the blob behind the other end ofthe bar, and about halfway there, I realized ...
 
Last edited:
wolram said:
I am 75 now,
He continues to shatter my mental model of him...

Maybe I should stop making assumptions.

You are male right?
And you are an Earthling?
 
? I haven't the faintest idea what my prescription is. They're glasses, not scope EPs! They just do their magic!
 
Last edited:
George Jones said:
...I walked into the (nearly empty) bar, which was long and narrow...
Did that make it hurt more?

baDUMbum
 
Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Did that make it hurt more?

baDUMbum
:biggrin:
That's how he broke his glasses.
 
-3 and -2,5...

.78 on both eye for astigmatism...

We are all geeks :P What will the world do without geeks..
 
Funny thing, I had a doctoral school last week on string theory. About twenty guys in the room, and I was to only one without glasses.

Come to think of it, I was the only one without glasses in my graduation physics class as well.

Hmm...
 
I drove home last night on twisting country roads to get home after hunting on a friend's property. Never again, until I get new lenses. Every oncoming vehicle's light bloomed in my eyes and blinded me, to the point where I practically had to pull over and stop and let them go by. The worst ones were the vehicles with the "european" headlights that seem almost monochromatic and blazingly bright.
 
It's odd how some girls can never wear glasses, one day put a pair on, and I don't even think she looks different. Other girls, on the other hand, put on glasses and look like a completely different person.
 
That 19 year-old girl that I was with a couple of years back has perfect vision and bought plain-glass glasses to wear as a fashion point. :rolleyes:
 
Danger said:
That 19 year-old girl that I was with a couple of years back has perfect vision and bought plain-glass glasses to wear as a fashion point. :rolleyes:
Maybe it was to hide her secret identity?
 
turbo-1 said:
I drove home last night on twisting country roads to get home after hunting on a friend's property. Never again, until I get new lenses. Every oncoming vehicle's light bloomed in my eyes and blinded me, to the point where I practically had to pull over and stop and let them go by. The worst ones were the vehicles with the "european" headlights that seem almost monochromatic and blazingly bright.
Those blazingly bright headlights are a problem even for those of us who don't have to deal with the glare on glasses! They're a hazard to other drivers in my opinion, especially if you're on a dark road with few other lights. It's worse when they don't have them adjusted to the right angle and they really glare right into the eyes of oncoming drivers!

I'm actually surprised by the poll results being so even! Are people not counting contact lenses and only glasses? I don't know anyone other than myself (in person) who doesn't wear corrective lenses of any kind.
 
*sigh* This thread makes me sad!:frown::shy:

Danger said:
That 19 year-old girl that I was with a couple of years back has perfect vision and bought plain-glass glasses to wear as a fashion point. :rolleyes:
Does that explain why she was dating you ?:-p
 
Unfortunately, we weren't 'dating'. Just constant companions. She did have her standards.
 
I've been prescribed glasses since I was 5years old. However I never wear them, as I have no trouble at all seeing things. Though i know my right eye has near perfect vision and the left isn't so perfect.
 
20/20 vision, no glasses. I'm really lucky actually, since all 4 of my immediate family members wear glasses.

Maybe I'm adopted. :cry: