Do Z-CoiL shoes actually relieve back and leg pain?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
Z-CoiL® footwear is engineered specifically to relieve foot, leg, and back pain.

Its patented, shock-absorbing design greatly reduces impact
to the body and distributes pressure more evenly across the foot than conventional shoes do. And less impact means less pain.
http://www.zcoil.com/products_faq.html
http://www.zcoil.com/products_technology.html

informercial


When we saw these advertised the other day, Tsu commented that some people at the hospital use these and claim to get significant relief from back or leg pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
They sure won't win any fashion contests, but if you're on your feet a lot, I can see how having a spring in the heel might help add more cushioning. Not sure how it would feel in terms of actually walking though. I'm on my feet a lot and ANYTHING that adds padding or cushioning to my shoes seems to help. The upside on these is that if they work as claimed, then you're not cramming your feet into shoes along with all the extra insoles people add for padding.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
yuck those are hideous

:smile: No worse than those crocs things the nurses wear. If they just covered up the springs, they'd probably look a lot better. I have my ugly lab shoes that I only wear from my office to the gross lab and back. Nobody is winning any fashion contests in there, and after many hours on your feet, you really stop caring what you look like if it means your feet don't hurt so much.
 
In the informercial, they state that all shoes can be purchased with spring covers. I think they just want everyone to see the springs.