Does a body with fixed emissivity become a perfect black body inside an enclosure?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Abhisuma
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Will a body of given emissivity kept inside a perfect black body start behaving as a perfect black body?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
Why should it?

I meant the whole system black body having a normal body inside it
 
Are you looking at the blackbody from the outside, or are you interested in the behavior of the grey body inside?
 
DrClaude said:
Are you looking at the blackbody from the outside, or are you interested in the behavior of the grey body inside?
Can you please answer it for both
 
DrClaude said:
What do you think?
I am actually confused.The actual question that my teacher asked was that if I coat a normal ball with lamp black will it start behaving as a perfect black body
 
Abhisuma said:
I am actually confused.The actual question that my teacher asked was that if I coat a normal ball with lamp black will it start behaving as a perfect black body
Then go back to the definition of a black body, and think what happens if you look at the painted ball from the outside. Does it behave like a blackbody?
 
DrClaude said:
Then go back to the definition of a black body, and think what happens if you look at the painted ball from the outside. Does it behave like a blackbody?
A black body is the body that absorbs all radiations falling on it so when a electomagnetic radiation is directed towards the ball the lamp black will absorb it so the ball must behave like a black body.
Am I correct?
 
Abhisuma said:
A black body is the body that absorbs all radiations falling on it so when a electomagnetic radiation is directed towards the ball the lamp black will absorb it so the ball must behave like a black body.
Am I correct?
Yes.