Does a higher frame rate on a UHD TV affect the perception of motion?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jerromyjon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Perception Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jerromyjon
Messages
1,244
Reaction score
189
I'm posting this here because physics can't answer it. Neither is it philosophy. I was watching the first episode of Lucifer over again on my new UHD TV. My old UHD took a crap and it was low fps. Now watching my new TV I noticed motion looks different. I don't think it seems smoother like my intuition would lead me to believe. It kind of looks "choppier" at a higher frame rate. I wonder how mathematics could reconcile this contradiction.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
strangerep said:
Curiously, on the UHD OLED screen, most of the indoor scenes looked too-obviously like film sets. And the space vehicles looked too-obviously like models, though not quite as bad as the original Star Wars.

Now I'm wondering whether watching movies on OLED from a 4K bluray source will ruin them for me. :oldcry:

Has anyone else had this kind of experience with UHD?
Keep these comments/critiques of UHD coming.
 
Bystander said:
Keep these comments/critiques of UHD coming.
Really? I could go on all day...

E.g., I was surprised just how poor your average "beautiful" movie starlet's skin is when seen up close in UHD. :oldruck:

And as for middle-aged or older actors (of either gender)... yuk. I have to keep telling myself to concentrate on the storyline, and just accept that the actors are real humans with all the usual flaws.

But this is not really a "perception of time" thing. More like "perception of aging". :frown:
 
strangerep said:
Really? I could go on all day...
I've been "bothered" by this for a week now. In reality motion is smooth. When I go into the TV section and look at all the higher priced TVs with 240 fps I think to myself what is the point, since I thought you can only notice the discontinuity at much lower frame rates. For example if there was a black frame inserted every 60th frame at 60 fps you wouldn't notice it consciously, as in "subliminal programming" but perhaps I'm misinformed. I just can't imagine how 30 fps would seem smoother motion than a higher frame rate unless perhaps the pixels have a faster response time making the images sharper.
Perhaps I'm just crazy even though the voices in my head tell me I'm not...