Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does anyone else think Intervention is a hilarious show?

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

It's like a behind the scenes look at American Idol. Those people who show up, do a terrible audition, and get yelled at by Simon are probably tweakers. These shows need to be linked together somehow.

I won't link directly to any videos for potential legal reasons, but here's the search on youtube. Pick any one you want
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=intervention&search_type=

edit:
    Do interventions actually work? From the looks of it, all this would do is alienate the person even more, and further drive them to persue drugs. Am I wrong to assume this?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    I only saw one episode of the show, but the guy they did the intervention on decided to go into treatment. They let him smoke heroin all the way to the airport, over and over and over. I suppose it showed how bad an addiction can get, but I didn't like them showing it or even agreeing to let him do it.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IMO, interventions help the family more than the addict.

There's nothing worse than watching a loved one spiral into the abyss of addiction...such a helpless feeling. So doing an intervention gives the family / friends a feeling that they're at least doing something.

But in the end, only the addict can help the addict.

BTW, one of my brothers is a meth addict. It sucks.

5. Feb 27, 2008 #4
    Seeing as a I have a cousin who had just gotten straight from using meth, then got a job crabbing, used some meth on the boat, and came back to land with a hole in his lung, later to be diagnosed with advanceds AIDS, I don't know whether they do or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?