Does asking for a resume mean a professor wants to hire me for research?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
UCFEng06
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone,

I recently met with a professor who is prominent in research at my university to discuss undergraduate research opportunites. I expressed my interest in conducting research and after talking for a while he told me to bring him a resume. Would you say that shows an interest in hiring me, or is it normal for professors to ask for resumes?

I ask because I am extremely interesting in working with him and am trying to analyze my chances.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It could mean various things. If he had NOTHING to be done he wouldn't have even asked for a resume, so that's a start. He probably just wants to know what you can do. Not very helpful, I know :P But good luck
 
He did mention that he had no open positions right now but he does have some seniors who do research that are graduating this semester. I'm hoping that he wanted the resume to keep until a position opens up.
 
Read some of his papers and come up with some good questions and talk to him about it. This will get you stuck in his mind and you'll have a much better chance of getting a position.

BTW, you probably won't understand most of the papers at your level, but you can still get the gist of it.