Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does dark energy have anything to do with expansion?

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I know next to nothing about either concept, but that does not stop me from asking:

Have physicists/cosmologists considered dark energy possibly being associated with creation of new space?

Or are they totally unrelated? Or even opposite concepts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your headline asks about dark energy and expansion. Here the theory is that dark energy is an explanation for the observation that the expansion is accelerating. "new space" is a concept that you will have to define.

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

That's not such an off-the-wall question, though. If the universe is expanding (getting larger) and the "empty" space thus created is suffused with the zero-point energy of the quantum vacuum, some questions arise. If DE is causing the expansion of the universe, and the space thus created itself has a non-zero energy, how are these related, and is there a thermodynamic model that can relate them?

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was using the term "creation of new space" equivalently with "expansion," which may or may not be technologically correct.

Thanks to your post I understand the existing theory a little better, in very broad brush terms.

I have two additional questions on the subject:

1. Do we experience/observe the acceleration (of expansion) as gravity, per Einstein's hypothesis that gravity is not distinguishable from acceleration?

2. What effect does dark energy have on the total entropy of the universe, if any?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?