Does DFT offer any advantages over FFT in MATLAB if speed is not a concern?

  • Topic: MATLAB 
  • Thread starter Thread starter SK1.618
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dft Fft Matlab
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
SK1.618
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
From what I have read, FFT seems to simply be faster than DFT, thus making DFT redundant. However, if computational speed is not an issue, are there any advantages of using DFT over FFT (such as increased precision, for example)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The conventional FFT algorithms are only "fast" if the number of data points can be factorized completely into small integers. (That is less restrictive than the first FFT algorithms, where the number of data points had to be a power of 2).

A DFT may be faster if you only want a small number of Fourier coefficients from a large number of data points.

I wouldn't expect precision to be an issue either way, though I haven't investigated that in any detail.