qnach said:
We all know how to google and look at wiki. There is really no need to give a wiki link.
Please note, this page as well as other books all mentioned only direct and indirect band gap in semi-conductor without discussing what I asked!!!
One could have searched on "direct/indirect band gaps in metals, insulators, dielectrics, . . . . " When I searched on "direct/indirect band gaps in insulators", I found the artlcle berkeman cited, "Band Gap" in the
RP Photonics Encyclopedia, which mentions other forms of matter besides semiconductors.
There are many studies on band gaps in a variety of materials other than semiconductors.
For example, "Band Gap in Magnetic Insulators from a Charge Transition Level Approach"
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jctc.0c00134
Elucidating the high-
k insulator α-Al2O3 direct/indirect energy band gap type through density functional theory computations
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0009261415005916
Pick any transitional metal oxide and one will find studies on its band gap. I'm interested in the behavior of n-type and p-type oxides, which have implications in a protective oxide (insulator and corrosion resistance layer (passivation of metal substrates)) and conductive oxide (catalysts, photochemical reactors, photoconductors). Note, like semicconductors, there are no pure oxides, and the 'doping', or presence of other elements, affects the chemical-electronic properties of the metal oxide.