Does drinking more water improves dry skin?

In summary: Yes however I'd qualify that by saying that IIRC the very mild dehydration that most people experience every now and then isn't enough to be the primary cause of dry skin.
nitsuj
Is there anything to support that drinking more water improves dry skin remarkably?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

Nothing that I could find. I doubt it would, dry skin (xeroderma) is not caused by dehydration. The problem isn't one of lack of water, it is from loss of water from the skin.

Intuitively I thought the same. Dry skin is dead skin, and I don't think it is dead because there wasn't enough water. (to say it differently, I have just as much dead skin in the summer as in the winter. just in the winter my skin is dry so it is more noticeable)

Ryan we're debating this at work. Many are refferencing a saying that drinking more water makes your skin less dry. I think that is an old wives tale. Some sites (those without reference to the author) say that dry skin is an indicator of dehydration.

nitsuj said:
Intuitively I thought the same. Dry skin is dead skin, and I don't think it is dead because there wasn't enough water. (to say it differently, I have just as much dead skin in the summer as in the winter. just in the winter my skin is dry so it is more noticeable)

Ryan we're debating this at work. Many are refferencing a saying that drinking more water makes your skin less dry. I think that is an old wives tale. Some sites (those without reference to the author) say that dry skin is an indicator of dehydration.

Well I did a quick search on Pubmed and Google scholar using terms like

xeroderma
hydration
dehydration
dry skin
drinking water
dead skin

In various AND/OR combinations. There may very well be something I've missed but I find it suspicious that the only times I actually saw any link between drinking water and dry skin is when I did a standard google search and got a bunch of non-accredited websites with no evidence.

nitsuj said:

It is logical that if a person is dehydrated (surely there are different levels) their skin will contain less water. However I think ryan is saying that you can be completely hydrated and still have dry skin.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It is logical that if a person is dehydrated (surely there are different levels) their skin will contain less water. However I think ryan is saying that you can be completely hydrated and still have dry skin.

I absoulutely agree that being dehydrated will result in less water pretty equally throughout the body including the skin.

I disagree that this kills skin cells. Or said differently drinking more water reduces dry* skin.

*the flakey white stuff

Greg Bernhardt said:

nitsuj said:
I absoulutely agree that being dehydrated will result in less water pretty equally throughout the body including the skin.

I disagree that this kills skin cells. Or said differently drinking more water reduces dry* skin.

*the flakey white stuff

You got it Greg, dry skin is a common symptom of dehydration. However if you are perfectly hydrated drinking extra water doesn't seem to do anything for dry skin.

Ryan_m_b said:
...dry skin is a common symptom of dehydration.

So your saying being dehydrated increases dry* skin?

* the white flakey dead skin

nitsuj said:
So your saying being dehydrated increases dry* skin?

* the white flakey dead skin

Yes however I'd qualify that by saying that IIRC the very mild dehydration that most people experience every now and then isn't enough to be the primary cause of dry skin.

By dry skin I mean xeroderma, not something like eczema.

1. Does drinking more water really improve dry skin?

Yes, drinking more water can improve dry skin. Water is essential for the body to function properly, and skin is the largest organ in the body. When the body is dehydrated, it can lead to dry skin. By drinking more water, you are helping to keep your body hydrated, which in turn can help improve dry skin.

2. How much water should I drink to improve dry skin?

The recommended daily intake of water for adults is about 8 cups or 64 ounces. However, the amount of water needed can vary depending on factors such as physical activity, climate, and overall health. It is important to listen to your body and drink water when you feel thirsty.

3. Can drinking too much water worsen dry skin?

Drinking too much water can lead to overhydration, which can cause swelling and puffiness in the skin. This can make dry skin appear worse. It is important to drink water in moderation and listen to your body's thirst cues.

4. Are there other factors besides drinking water that can improve dry skin?

Yes, there are other factors that can help improve dry skin. These include using moisturizers, avoiding harsh soaps and hot showers, and using a humidifier in dry environments. A balanced diet rich in healthy fats and vitamins can also contribute to healthy skin.

5. How long does it take to see improvement in dry skin from drinking more water?

The time it takes to see improvement in dry skin from drinking more water can vary from person to person. It may take a few days to a few weeks to see noticeable changes. Consistently drinking enough water and incorporating other skin care habits can help maintain healthy, hydrated skin in the long term.