Does Hawking Radiation Allow Particles to Escape Black Holes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Heapum
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 677 views
Heapum
Black holes are theorized to dissipate energy when two entangled particles separate at the horizon, with one going into the black hole and one escaping. What happens to the escaping particle? Wouldn't it also be consumed by the black hole (thus preventing any net energy dissipation)? The only answer I can come up with is that it gets shot out of the top or bottom in the jets of energy/mass but, I don't know enough math to be sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Heapum said:
Black holes are theorized to dissipate energy when two entangled particles separate at the horizon, with one going into the black hole and one escaping. What happens to the escaping particle? Wouldn't it also be consumed by the black hole (thus preventing any net energy dissipation)? The only answer I can come up with is that it gets shot out of the top or bottom in the jets of energy/mass but, I don't know enough math to be sure.
This topic has been beaten to death numerous times here on PF. I suggest a forum search, where you will find that your understanding is a widespread misconception.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: baldbrain and Wrichik Basu
Welcome to the PF @Heapum :smile:

The New Member Introduction forum is just for brief intro posts, not for questions. And as @phinds says, you can use the Search link at the top of the page to find lots and lots of threads where this is discussed. If you still have questions about this after doing that reading, start a new thread in the physics section of the PF and post links to your reading. That will help folks to answer your questions.

Enjoy the forums!