Does hydrated Copper Chloride with 20 moles of H2O make sense?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sp3sp2sp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Copper Moles
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sp3sp2sp
Messages
100
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


without posting all the lab data I am just wondering if this makes sense. I calculated moles Chlorine to moles Copper as 2:1. (seems reasonable to me).

Then I calculated mole ratio of water to Copper in hydrated sample as 20:1. (not sure if this is "reasonable " or not because this is first time I've done hydrate experiment)
so hydrated fomula would be CuCl_2*20H_2O

Thanks for any help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
figured out what was happening...off by one decimal place in my calculation...should be 2 moles H2O...dumb mistake!
 
20 looks a bit high for a simple hydrate. For more complicated salts like some alums and pseudo alums (aka double sulfates) n goes up to 22 (or perhaps even 24), but then it is 22 molecules of water for three cations and four sulfate anions. In general more than 2-3 molecules of water per an ion of the salt (three of them in CuCl2, one Cu2+ and two Cl-) always looks suspicious to me.