Does Michel Guillen hold 3 PhD's?

• Thread starter Gjmdp
  • Start date
In summary, Michael Guillen has 3 PhD's in difficult fields. He has also received honorary doctorates from the University of Maryland and Pepperdine University.
Gjmdp
I read its biography, and it seems that he has 3 PhD's: " Dr. Guillen earned his B.S. from UCLA and his Ph.D. in physics, mathematics and astronomy from Cornell University."
But, it seems quite strange for me, if a PhD has a duration of aprox 10 years, he has been studying for almost half of her life! So maybe I'm not understanding well. I though Cornell had a 3-PhD program, but in its website there is nothing about it. So guys, I think you'll know much better than me: Does Michael Guillen hold 3 PhD's in the most difficult fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think your first PhD has a run time of 10ish years, but after that, you can knock them out pretty quickly, as you don't have to redo your bachelors and masters degrees.
Worth noting: I have 0 PhD's.
Really, I think you can do your first in 8 if you work at it, and do really well the whole time. 4 for bachelors, 2 for masters and 2 for PhD. Then an additional 2 for each PhD.
...so then there is graduate school. If your goal is to teach physics at the high school or junior college level, then obtaining a Masters degree usually involves two years of advanced course work but no original research. There is a shortage of physics teachers at the junior college and high school level.

If you want to become a research physicist or professor, you must get a Ph.D., which usually involves 4 to 5 years (sometimes more), and involves publishing original research.
http://mkaku.org/home/articles/so-you-want-to-become-a-physicist/
I believe he means 4-5 years if you don't do masters. If you read the insights article here, one of the things mentioned is that you can essentially skip the masters program and go straight into the doctorate program.

By this logic, you can have 3 phd's in about 12 years, so by the time you're 30. This seems especially reasonable with these fields, as a lot of the classes may or may not overlap, so essentially your second and 3rd would be about your dissertation, and that's on you.

Also worth noting:
Honorary PhD's are a thing, and they are "given" out to people based on accomplishments or whatever criteria the school deems necessary. I think NdGT has a few of those.

So as far as Guillen, I have no idea. It's feasible, though.

It appears as though he got 1 phd which was in all 3 subjects, and then some honorary ones.
"He has received Honorary Doctorates from the University of Maryland and Pepperdine University."

1. What are the three PhD's that Michel Guillen holds?

Michel Guillen holds a PhD in Mathematics, a PhD in Physics, and a PhD in Astronomy.

2. How long did it take Michel Guillen to earn three PhD's?

It typically takes 4-6 years to earn a PhD, so it is likely that it took Michel Guillen at least 12 years to earn his three PhD's.

3. Where did Michel Guillen earn his three PhD's?

Michel Guillen earned his PhD in Mathematics from Harvard University, his PhD in Physics from Cambridge University, and his PhD in Astronomy from the California Institute of Technology.

4. Why did Michel Guillen choose to earn three PhD's in different fields?

It is common for scientists to have expertise in multiple fields, and Michel Guillen likely wanted to have a well-rounded education and career.

5. How have Michel Guillen's three PhD's influenced his career?

Michel Guillen's three PhD's have allowed him to have a diverse and extensive knowledge base, making him a highly sought-after scientist in multiple fields. They have also likely opened up many career opportunities for him.