Does Multiverse theory disprove Freewill?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free will and its relation to determinism. The idea that everything is predetermined and that free will is an illusion is explored, with possible explanations such as luck, God, and the soul being considered. The concept of consciousness and its role in decision-making is also discussed. The conversation ends with a debate on whether determinism truly applies on a quantum level and the idea that symbols and variables give humans the ability to have free will.
Korppi
So, I have been thinking about this for some time now. If there was other universe with exactly same start and laws as our, It would be exactly the same as ours. Thus there was same people doing same decision as here. Idea freewill is absurd and only things that could explain it would be; Luck, God, Soul and so on. And I don't think that it's sensible to get any of those things involved.

So, would do you think that your thoughts are just equation made by your brain that used things that you have sensed as variables and coming to unavoidable solution? I don't really see how it could be otherwise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing's inevitable, we have to take into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. Luck is something that it makes perfect sense to involve.

Anyways, I've been thinking about this for a while. One of the things we need to do first is rigorously define free will.

Disprove is certainly the wrong word to use here. How can a speculative theory disprove anything if it isn't proven itself?

Whovian said:
One of the things we need to do first is rigorously define free will.

The day that you can say that you were really aware when you 'made a decision' is the day that you can say you had free will. When you arrive at a decision, you are only aware of it afterwards (I defy you to say when it actually happened). Consciousness is a fascinating subject but i think it will always elude us because understanding of our consciousness would need to be a recursive process.

Free will is probably no more than post hoc rationalisation of what you ended up doing. After all, we couldn't accept that it's random, could we - or nothing would be anyone's fault.

Khashishi said:
Disprove is certainly the wrong word to use here. How can a speculative theory disprove anything if it isn't proven itself?

Yeah, you are right, I spent a while thinking what word should i use. But considering that freewill has been considered as something of an standard for human to have along history. I decided to use it.
edit: And if you go to street and ask someone "Does human have freewill?" I am fairly sure that over 50% would answer "Yes."

Whovian said:
Nothing's inevitable, we have to take into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. Luck is something that it makes perfect sense to involve.

True, but i would suspect that if the start of other universe was same as ours, it would be same on quantum level also.

Last edited:
Korppi said:
True, but i would suspect that if the start of other universe was same as ours, it would be same on quantum level also.

Nope. It could turn out completely differently. Let me bold this. Determinism does not apply. Some sort of near-determinism applies on relatively large scales, but my point is made.

The natural law of the physical universe makes an equally good case for determinism. But both have a critical flaw; file type mismatch. The whole point of a symbol, or variable is that, using formal operations, the creature can allow them to mean any of an infinate amount of real or imaginary things, actions, etc...thereby it has free will. We multiply millions of such symbols as we weave the people that we are & the culture we are a part of, thus each is intrinsically unique, even twins.*

1. Does the existence of multiple universes in the Multiverse theory mean that we have no control over our actions?

No, the Multiverse theory does not necessarily disprove freewill. While it does suggest that there may be multiple versions of ourselves in different universes, it does not mean that we have no control over our actions in our own universe. Our choices and decisions are still influenced by our own thoughts, beliefs, and experiences.

2. Can we blame our actions on the existence of alternate versions of ourselves in different universes?

No, the existence of alternate versions of ourselves in different universes does not negate our responsibility for our actions in our own universe. Each version of ourselves in different universes may have different choices and outcomes, but we are ultimately responsible for our own decisions and actions.

3. Does the Multiverse theory eliminate the concept of fate or destiny?

The Multiverse theory does not necessarily eliminate the concept of fate or destiny. While it suggests that there may be multiple versions of ourselves in different universes, it does not mean that our actions and choices are predetermined. We still have the ability to make choices and create our own paths.

4. Can the Multiverse theory be used as an excuse for our mistakes or failures?

No, the existence of multiple universes in the Multiverse theory does not give us an excuse for our mistakes or failures. While there may be alternate versions of ourselves in different universes with different outcomes, we are still responsible for our own actions and the consequences that come with them.

5. Does the Multiverse theory have any implications on moral responsibility?

The Multiverse theory does not necessarily have any implications on moral responsibility. While it suggests that there may be alternate versions of ourselves in different universes with different actions and outcomes, we are still responsible for our own actions and the impact they have on others in our own universe.