Does Peter Arnett's career show the US has a free press?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Perspective
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 7K views
It is somber Nquire and sobering,

this caught my eye - Mr. Arnett says "I don't blame NBC for their decision because they came under great commercial pressure from the outside", interesting he didn't point an accusing finger at Bush.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Originally posted by amp
this caught my eye - Mr. Arnett says "I don't blame NBC for their decision because they came under great commercial pressure from the outside", interesting he didn't point an accusing finger at Bush.
"Commercial pressure"? I'm not sure what he means there. Sponsors pulling ads?
 


Originally posted by russ_watters
"Commercial pressure"? I'm not sure what he means there. Sponsors pulling ads?

Their ratings dropped, no wait..I think they plummetted..like someone tied a cement brick around the neck and dropped em over a bridge..get it?
 
Originally posted by N_Quire
News at the mercy of commercial interests? How can that be news?

Ya..can you believe it..a commercial enterprise like...get this..commercial television..would care about commercial interests...unbelievable!
 
Originally posted by kat
Ya..can you believe it..a commercial enterprise like...get this..commercial television..would care about commercial interests...unbelievable!
Insane. I don't believe it either :wink:
 
Peter Arnett has a new job for an Arab-based tv station, according to the Washington Post: "Peter Arnett, fired by NBC earlier this week for giving an interview to state-run Iraqi television, now is reporting for pan-Arab satellite channel Al-Arabiya, the station said Saturday."