Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does PF allow insertion of Figures and Plots to threads?

1. Dec 24, 2015 #1
    Does PhysicsForums (PF) allow insertion of figures & plots like it allows insertions of latex equations? if someone knows how to insert a graph of some sort, I'd like to write down some equations but also be able to add some plots based on some of the equations. What format would the figures have to be in? pdf? gif? jpg? LateX has some graphics insertion routines which I use, but those require some "usepackage" commands and then maybe those define new commands, etc.. If PF has a native way to insert figures and plots, that's what I'm after. I would not expect I could just insert my latex header commands since that gets too big sometimes and one would think the PF thread overhead already takes care of that

Any PF graphics insertion help would be super.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

PF doesn't run LaTeX. It runs MathJax, which can interpret some LaTeX commands and output typeset equations. External packages will not work.

To include figures, just click on the upload button at the bottom of the editing window. Afterwards, you can include the full image or a preview in the text.

4. Dec 24, 2015 #3
    Thank you for the heads up on the MathJax bit. Understood.

ok so I understand you to mean I "upload" and navigate to any plot figure I have anywhere, and then I can "preview" it as much as I like. Will it become clear in the preview how I can control its position in the thread?

Thank you for the feedback

5. Dec 24, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Clicking Upload will allow you to browse through your local files.

Once you have uploaded the image, it will appear below the edit window, with two buttons, Thumbnail and Full Image. Clicking on either will insert the image in the edit window where the cursor is.

6. Dec 24, 2015 #5
    perfect, thank you!!

7. Dec 24, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

All the usual image formats (gif, png, jpg, bmp, ...) should work.
    The preview will show if it worked.

8. Dec 27, 2015 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might try writing your code in notepad, then copy, paste and preview.

9. Jan 1, 2016 #8

Mark44

@Doug Brown, in addition to what others have said here, you can whip up quick sketches using the WHITEBOARD feature (the button is at the lower right of the input pane). I've used it a number of times to make quick graphs and sketches.

10. Jan 1, 2016 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried using the Whiteboard functionality but it did not work.

11. Jan 1, 2016 #10

Mark44

You create an image in another window, and you have to save it to your computer somewhere, then upload it like you would a regular image. I've used it a number of times -- it does work.

12. Jan 1, 2016 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I did what you said, and it did not work. The only option I have is to try again using a different computer.

13. Jan 1, 2016 #12

Mark44

Here's a quick one I did.
    1. Click WHITEBOARD. This opens another browser window, titled "PF Whiteboard - Internet Explorer" -- If your default browser is Google Chrome or Apple Safari, I suppose it will say that in the title.
    2. Use the various drawing tools to create the image. I used the tool with geometric shapes to make the box, then used the T tool to add the text.
    3. Click Save Snapshot. This brings up a control that you can use to specify where the image will be saved.
    4. In the PF text entry box, click UPLOAD, which opens a control that you use to find the image and upload it to PF.

Voila!

Snapshot.jpg

14. Jan 2, 2016 #13

NascentOxygen

On my Android, clicking on Whiteboard brings up a blank window devoid of all else.

15. Jan 2, 2016 #14

Mark44

My assumption was that a real computer was being used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook