Does Surgical Implantation Affect Hummingbird Weight Loss?

Can you provide more context or information about your experiment and what you are trying to determine?In summary, The speaker is seeking help with analyzing data from an ecology experiment involving 8 hummingbirds and a surgical implant. They are trying to determine if the implant affects the birds' mass and are considering using an ANOVA with a covariate of day number. However, they are unsure how to proceed and are asking for additional ideas or suggestions.
Seadragon
Hello,

I am faced with a perplexing challenge in analyzing my results for an ecology experiment. All help is immensely appreciated.

The situation:

I have 6-month longitudinal mass data for 8 hummingbirds. From eye-balling the data, time definitely has an effect: masses tend to decrease over time between certain intervals.

I am trying to discern whether a surgical implant has any effect on hummingbird mass. For each bird, the surgery was performed at a DIFFERENT TIME in the 6-month period.

So to recap:

Need to figure out if the implant (of negligible mass) affects hummingbird mass (makes them lose weight etc.). Operations done at different times throughout the year, and birds mass systematically decrease at certain intervals throughout the year.

Any ideas? Thanks so much for the help. I'm thinking ANOVA with covariate of day number... but I'm confused as to how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
chi-square test for Homogeneity of Population?

salzahrah said:
chi-square test for Homogeneity of Population?

I'm confused as to why you would run that particular test.

Related to Does Surgical Implantation Affect Hummingbird Weight Loss?

1. What is an interesting stats challenge?

An interesting stats challenge is a problem or question that requires the use of statistical analysis and data interpretation to find a solution or answer. It often involves collecting and analyzing data, making predictions, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

2. How do you approach an interesting stats challenge?

The first step in approaching an interesting stats challenge is to clearly define the problem or question. Then, you will need to gather relevant data and choose appropriate statistical methods to analyze the data. Finally, you will need to interpret the results and draw conclusions.

3. What skills are required for solving an interesting stats challenge?

Solving an interesting stats challenge requires a strong understanding of statistical concepts and methods, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also helps to have experience with data analysis software and programming languages.

4. Can anyone solve an interesting stats challenge?

While anyone can attempt to solve an interesting stats challenge, it does require a certain level of knowledge and skills in statistics. It also takes practice and patience to develop a strong problem-solving approach. However, with dedication and the right resources, anyone can improve their abilities in this area.

5. How can solving an interesting stats challenge benefit me?

Solving an interesting stats challenge can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as your understanding of statistical concepts and methods. It can also help you develop a strong data-driven approach to decision making, which is a valuable skill in many fields and industries.