Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the black matter has weight?

  1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    I've heard that all the stars, planets or other heavenly bodies constitute only a little amount of mass of the universe. And we know that the rest other thing in it is black matter that can weigh something as I don't think that light or sound waves weigh something. So is it the black matter which has the got most mass of the universe? And if yes then what is it made up of?
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

    Drakkith

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Indeed. This type of matter is known as Dark Matter and it comprises about 85% of the total matter of the universe, with normal matter making up the other 15%. We don't yet know what dark matter is composed of. This is one of the greatest unsolved mysteries in modern astrophysics.

    Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook