Does the Permeability of Water Prevent Surface Disturbance in Aquariums?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Kaustubh sri
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
When we look in the aquerium , the fish moves from here to there but there is no disturbance at the surface of water . Why is it so?

My attempt
Actually I think that this problem is due to permiability of water. Am I right or wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
permeability of water? Do you mean the compressibility of water? It's not that.

If the fish is deep enough the disturbance at the surface has a small large radius. Water also flows quickly so it's self levelling.
 
What do you mean by 'the permeability of the water'?
 
Kaustubh sri said:
What do u mean by small large radius

Sorry I made a typo. I meant

If the fish is deep enough the disturbance at the surface has a large radius.
 
CWatters said:
Sorry I made a typo. I meant

If the fish is deep enough the disturbance at the surface has a large radius.

But if the fish is at the near the surface than
 
http://www.evols.org/mediawiki/images/thumb/e/ed/BL-06-1-streamlined.png/250px-BL-06-1-streamlined.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There is indeed a disturbance at the surface of the water; it is usually negligibly small because the density difference between air and water is so big.
 
Because of the viscosity of water, any time water moves, there is a loss of energy. If the fish is deep enough under the water, the energy will have dissipated by the time the disturbance reaches the surface.