1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does this problem require knowing the density of water?

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the molality of an aqueous solution of a compound with a molar mass of 120. g/mol that has a density of 1.56 g/mL and a molarity of 5.78 M?

(A) 6.67 m
    (B) 5.78 m
    (C) 120. m
    (D) 1.56 m
    (E) None of the Above

2. Relevant equations
    Molality= moles solute/kilograms solvent

3. The attempt at a solution

I assumed a volume of 1 L of solution, leaving me with 5.78 moles solute.

5.78 moles solute x 120 g/mole solute = 693.6 g solute

693.6 g solute x 1 mL/ 1.56 g solute =444.615 mL (the space taken up by the solute)

1000 ml(b/c I assumed 1 L solution)- 444.615= 555.385 ml (volume of solvent, water)

I don't know where to go from here b/c I don't know what the density of water is at whatever temperature the solution is at.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I believe you are misreading the question. 1.56 g/mL is density of the solution, not of the solute. If so, what is mass of the 1L of the solution? How much of this mass is water?

If 1.56 g/mL is intended to be density of the solute, there is not enough information to solve the problem.

4. May 8, 2013 #3
    Thanks so much Borek.

Yes, I was misreading the problem. I tried solving it again using 1.56 g/mL as the density of the entire solution and I got the right answer, which is a) 6.67 molality.

I gotta start reading these problems more carefully. :approve:

5. May 8, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am not surprised you misread the problem, it is lousy worded and confusing. For me it was obvious as I have seen zillions of such questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted