Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does This Shirt Make Me Look Like A Geek?

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I've seen various shirts with physics and math written all over them. The most common one is the shirt with all the Maxwell equations written and "... and there was light". I never had the desire to own such shirts before.... till now.

During my trip to the Kennedy Space Center this past December, I came across this t-shirt that made me laughed. Plus, it was also on sale. So I couldn't resist.

IMG_7815.jpg

A close-up of the equations (which are badly formatted, I must admit):
    IMG_7817.jpg

The back has the explanation of what the equations describe:
    IMG_7816.jpg

I haven't worn this yet, but I'm sure I'll look like a total geek when I do.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I like it. Wear it with pride!

4. Jan 25, 2013 #3

jedishrfu

5. Jan 25, 2013 #4
    Nice T-Shirt. but If equations are written in LaTeX and fonts are other as Times New Roman then it becomes great.
    I know about this T-Shirt in your blog firstly.Front face with Equations and back has explanations.

6. Jan 25, 2013 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've got (or used to have) dozens of those. I've given most of them away.

These shirts started back in the 1980s at Johnson Space Center with the Mission Control team that rode the BP MS 150. Selling those "Why yes, I am a rocket scientist!" T-shirts was how they raised funds for the ride. One year they printed too many and sold the extras to the gift shop. The JSC gift shop (and now apparently others) have been selling them like hotcakes ever since.

7. Jan 25, 2013 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely, yes.

That doesn't mean you can't wear it with pride :biggrin:

8. Jan 25, 2013 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jan 25, 2013 #8

Ryan_m_b

Awesome Tee :D and useful

10. Jan 25, 2013 #9
    Lisab, that should be a T-shirt!

11. Jan 25, 2013 #10
    Actually that shirt wouldn't make you look like a geek. If you want to look like a geek, wear a tapout shirt.
    That one word "useful" gave me an idea of making a t-shirt for each of my classes with lots of formulas and stuff on it to use during tests.

12. Jan 25, 2013 #11

turbo

Gold Member

You WILL look like a geek if some other geek convinces you to turn back-to-front over and over to match the equations with the explanations. Comes with the territory. :tongue:

13. Jan 25, 2013 #12

jedishrfu

and when people ask about the shirt you can say with pride I understand every one of them and if they persist and say: "Oh yeah How about this one?" You can reply its all geek to me.

14. Jan 25, 2013 #13

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Better get permission from the wife before you wear it. You are going to be a chick magnet in that shirt!

15. Jan 25, 2013 #14

Evo

Love it!

16. Jan 25, 2013 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's you. Don't wear it until we have a PF get-together. You'll be the first person I'll want to talk to. :biggrin:

17. Jan 26, 2013 #16
    Unequivocally, yes...

18. Jan 26, 2013 #17
    If anyone thinks you look like a geek, just tell them to pay attention to line 10.

19. Jan 26, 2013 #18

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I picked up a similar shirt, though not as cool (it only had escape velocity on it), at JSC while attending a conference.

I've also got one of the "Why yes, I *am* a rocket scientist." shirts. :biggrin:

20. Jan 26, 2013 #19
    I've got one that say's "As a matter of fact, I am a brain surgeon," even though I'm not a surgeon. I probaly know more about the brain than most surgeons though.

21. Jan 26, 2013 #20
    I was also there this past December, family went to Florida for Christmas. Seeing the Saturn V was definitely a high point in my life. Such an amazing feat of human engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook