Does this technobabble of mine pass muster?

• Thread starter cybernetichero
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a ship's drive working by using quantum entanglement to siphon off momentum from atoms in the environment, similar to how a sail works for a boat. The comparison is made to a solar sail and the conversation digresses to discuss avatars and the potential for a "wikiwalk". The conversation concludes with a joking statement about eliminating someone who knows too much.
cybernetichero
If I said a ship's drive worked by "siphoning off" momentum from atoms in the environment around the ship that happen to be going our way using quantum entanglement would it pass willing suspension of disbelief? Bear in mind I have miniscule knowledge of what Quantum entanglement is beyond TV explanations by the likes of Neil DeGrasse Tyson or Brian Cox.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isnt that what a sail does for a boat?

The wind impinges upon the sail and thus the boat is propelled forward. This is all from classical principles.

Here's an example of a solar sail where photons from the sun impinge on it pushing the ship forward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

Likes stefan r, cybernetichero and BillTre
Wow.
I just noticed the similarity of your avatars!
Great minds think a like?

• Haha
Likes cybernetichero
jedishrfu said:
Here's an example of a solar sail where photons from the sun impinge on it pushing the ship forward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail
Oh dear I can see a wikiwalk happening tonight.
The way I see it is like the ship is pulled along by a million invisible butterflies individually tethered by invisible threads with the number, tethering ability and length of threads and thus how many butterflies it can reach to tether being determined by the engine.

BillTre said:
Wow.
I just noticed the similarity of your avatars!
Great minds think a like?

The human knows too much and must be eliminated. 🤖

• Sad
  • Haha
Likes jedishrfu and BillTre

1. What is the purpose of using technobabble in scientific writing?

Technobabble is often used in scientific writing to make complex or technical concepts more accessible to a wider audience. It can also add an air of credibility and authority to the writing.

2. How can I determine if my technobabble is accurate and appropriate?

One way to ensure the accuracy of your technobabble is to consult with experts in the field or conduct thorough research. It is also important to consider the context and audience of your writing to determine if the level of technical jargon is appropriate.

3. Is it necessary to use technobabble in all scientific writing?

No, it is not necessary to use technobabble in all scientific writing. It should only be used when it enhances the understanding and credibility of the topic being discussed. In some cases, simpler language may be more effective in communicating complex ideas.

4. How can I strike a balance between using technobabble and keeping my writing understandable?

The key to striking a balance is to use technobabble sparingly and only when necessary. It is important to define any technical terms or jargon used and provide context or explanations to aid in understanding for readers who may not be familiar with the topic.

5. Are there any guidelines or standards for using technobabble in scientific writing?

There are no strict guidelines or standards for using technobabble in scientific writing, as it can vary depending on the topic and audience. However, it is important to use it accurately, sparingly, and in a way that enhances the understanding and credibility of the writing.