Does time exist outside one's mind?

In summary: Time exists in our minds as a way to measure and understand the changes and patterns in our surroundings. Without an observer, time would still continue to pass and events would still occur, but they would not be measured or interpreted in the same way. So, in summary, the human mind has evolved to understand the world in terms of distance, space, and time, and time does not exist outside of an observer.
BeXti
In other words, has the human mind merely evolved to understand the world in terms of distance and space and time? Does time exist outside of an observer?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my understanding, thanks to Dalespam, it is neither prudent nor intelligent to devolve over discussions of *existence*, but I am neither.

Time has many meanings. Which meaning are you talking about.

time exists in my mind as a multidimensional structure, but then personal theories are not encouraged here.
...reminds me of college.

The human mind interprets and attaches meaning to photon data. Photons deliver information about distance and time only. Each tiny truncated piece of wildly mixed data arrives at the speed of light as part of a never repeated multitudinous storm of photons. So, my answer to your question: We receive information about changes of distance with respect to durations of time only. Distance and time are the only immediate reality that we know. All else takes form from our amazing ability to find patterns amidst the storm and attach meanings to those patterns. We do this amazing feat using information about distance and time only.

James

BeXti said:
In other words, has the human mind merely evolved to understand the world in terms of distance and space and time? Does time exist outside of an observer?

I'm going to have to say yes. If we weren't around to witness the Moon orbit the Earth, what would happen? It would still orbit the Earth, just as it has for billions of years.

1. What is the concept of time?

The concept of time is a fundamental aspect of our perception and understanding of the world. It refers to the sequential, irreversible, and continuous flow of events and the measurement of their duration. Time is often described as the fourth dimension, along with the three dimensions of space.

2. Is time a physical or a psychological phenomenon?

This is a debated question in the scientific community. Some argue that time is a physical entity, as it can be measured and affected by physical factors such as gravity and velocity. Others believe that time is a psychological construct, as our perception of time can vary and be influenced by our mental state and experiences.

3. Can time exist without the human mind?

Some scientists argue that time is a fundamental property of the universe and would exist even without human perception. They believe that time is an inherent feature of the fabric of space and is not dependent on human consciousness. However, others argue that time is a construct of the human mind and would not exist without it.

4. How does time relate to the concept of relativity?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is not absolute but instead is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can be measured differently depending on one's relative motion and position. The faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for that object.

5. Is time travel possible?

Many theories in physics, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, suggest that time travel may be possible. However, it is currently considered impossible due to the many paradoxes and contradictions it would create. The concept of time travel is still a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.