1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Your Average Percentage Matter in College?

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    In my graduating high school class there were 10 people who all had the same GPA, they had straight A+s. Like in most high schools all awards and student ranking was all based on your average percentage not GPA. Like I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense. There were 10 crazy people who had straight A+s, so when determining student ranking they can't place those 10 students at number one in student ranking, so everything is based on average percentage, they had to distinguish the 10 people based on average percentage and distinguish what average percentage they got in each course they had A+s in, an A+ was between a 97% and a 100%... I hope that makes some sense... no two people had the same average percentage, well it's very unlikely but i guess there's a small chance it can happen but probably wont, but there were many students that had the same exact GPA and got the same exact grades, so all awards and student ranking was based off average percentage

so i was woundering if this is the same in universities or does a 80%B and a 85%B not make a difference in college unlike in high school were it mattered a whole lot

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2
    On what basis are you asking this question? Do you mean for university scholarships and bursaries?

If that's the case then generally awards aren't just given out for high standing. There is usually a full portfolio of information looked at, like an essay, volunteer work, extracurriculars, etc. etc.

Someone with a 99% A+ average in all courses but no volunteer work and a poor essay wont get a scholarship when compared to someone with an 85% B average but an extraordinary essay, volunteer work, and extracurriculars.

However, with that being said yes most universities keep a detailed percentage grade on your transcripts. I know my university gives out awards for the highest standing student in each year for the physics program.

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3
    Ya I was just wondering if like every single point mattered or not, like in high school getting a 80%B- but getting a 85% B- made all the difference in determining stuff but I was sure if that mattered as much in universities

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4
    Not really. Aside from the 'top standing' awards I mentioned; all scholarships will be awarded based on a combination of things, not just academic standing. Though higher grades do help.

6. Aug 18, 2011 #5
    It depends on the college. In high school GPA was calculated on the 4 point scale with 1 being D, 2 being C, 3 being B, and 4 for A. Some colleges modify this system by making an A- worth only 3.7 and B+ worth 3.3 and so on. So yes it does matter, there will be a difference in your GPA if you got 80% instead of 85%. But again it just depends on the college.

7. Aug 18, 2011 #6
    Of course each letter grade will span a given percent but isn't that obvious? :S I don't believe that's what the OP's question was.

8. Aug 18, 2011 #7
    No it wasn't... I was like lets say there's a 5% scale for a certain letter, let's say 80-85, would you really say it mattered if you got a 80 or 85 because either way you would still get the same letter grade and certainly in high school if you got a 80 in a course instead of a 85 but received the same exact grade and had the same GPA if they took only that one course for example, it made all the difference in determining student ranking and stuff

It's very possible to have several students have the same exact GPA, especially if you go to school with a lot of intelligent people, but nearly impossible for most purposes the probability is 0 because you can calculate percentage out past 4 digits if you wanted that two people would have the same percentage

this made all the difference in high school and i'm just wondering if it mattered in college and trying to get peoples opinions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook