1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doing bad in math class, what do I do?

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    I'm taking Stochastic Processes this semester, and I started off doing poorly. I have tried picking up the pace and working harder ( I slacked off slightly in the beginning), and I am doing better on quizzes but I had my second exam today and don't think I did well at all. I did bad on the first exam, so my grade is low in the class. I am a senior math major, so this is not the first upper level I have taken. I have never failed a class, and am afraid that I will now. Should I drop it? I feel horrible and such a failure, but I don't know what else to do. If I do bad on this exam then I don't think i'll be able to get a decent grade in the class.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2
    Personally I would always talk to my professor before dropping a class.

4. Mar 27, 2013 #3
    Hortino- I think I will. I feel like a failure though. I have taken Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra and other class so it's not my first upper level math class.

5. Mar 27, 2013 #4
    The way it sounds is that you've done well in everything up until this point, and I think one w will look better than a failing grade. And one w will not be the end of you.

Are you struggling to understand the concepts? Or are you just not putting in enough time? Or both?

6. Mar 27, 2013 #5
    I have done well in my other math classes, but I feel horrible about having got drop this course.

I think it's a bit of both. Initially I struggled with the concepts because I didn't have much background in probability, and I am part to blame because I should've put in more time.

7. Mar 29, 2013 #6
    Talk to the professor first. Also you have what, half the semester left? You can often do much better than you think you will if you work hard, even when it's not been going so well. Look at the syllabus, there are usually provisions for this sort of scenario (e.g. final replaces a midterm, or x # of homeworks are dropped etc).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook