Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't understand this simple vector space problem

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    Don't understand this reasoning with respect to linear operators.

Let S and T be linear operators on the finite dimensional vector space V. Then assuming the composition ST is invertible, we get
    [tex]\text{null} \; S \subset \text{null} \; ST [/tex]

Why is that? I thought hard about it but I simply cannot follow. Is it not possible to have an element x of V that is in the nullspace of S but not in the nullspace of ST ? i.e. S maps x to 0 but T maps x to y where S don't map y to 0 ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ST is invertible, then the null space of it is zero. I think you ought to re-examine your question.

It is certainly true that null(T) is a subspace of null(ST).

4. May 17, 2007 #3
    yes I understand that the null space of ST i zero, and that null(T) is a subspace of null(ST), but how can we say that null(S) is a subspace of null(ST) ? I must be doing some kind of faulty thinking :(

5. May 17, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't say null(S) is a subspace of null(ST), in general. It isn't. Trivially. Howver, you asserted that ST was invertible, and at no point attempted to use this fact. Thus null(ST)=0, so you're asking 'is null(S) a subspace of the zero vector space'. Well, what is the only subspace of the zero space? I.e. is S injective?

6. May 18, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

it depends which convention on composition is being used. some people write ST for first S then T, but not me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?