Dr Wirth inventor of pascal has died at 89

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pascal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 1K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Pascal is the second language I learned. It helped me a lot in learning how to structure programs.
 
DrClaude said:
Pascal is the second language I learned.
Me too. Fortran was my first, first IV, then 77, where I got into "structured programming" using IF / END IF statements and DO / END DO loops that eliminated the need for statement numbers.

So the new stuff for me in Pascal was pass-by-value versus pass-by-reference in functions, structured data types, user-defined data types, etc.

I taught intro programming courses in Pascal during the early/mid 1990s, then switched to C++ until I stopped teaching those courses in the early 2000s.

Dr. Wirth is reported to have once said, "You can call me by name, which is 'Wirth' [pronounced 'veert'], or you can call me by value, which is "Worth".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude, DennisN, collinsmark and 1 other person
Similar here, BASIC and FORTRAN despite being completely different were both poor in terms of teaching good coding/programming habits, most of what I know (I am not saying my habits are OK :wink: ) I learned while using Pascal.