1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw 4 isomers of an aldehyde C5H10O

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    Hey Guys,

I have a question that says to draw 4 isomers of an aldehyde C5H10O and I can only find three (pentanal, 3-methylbutanal, and 2-methylbutanal). Can anybody help with a fourth?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Something like that came up on one of these forums a few weeks ago. This is a permutation or combination type problem. ?? ?

... I found 4 of them. What is tried was setup two neighboring carbons; put the aldehyde group on the lefthand side carbon. The form which you seem to have missed is 2,2-dimethylpentanal.

Maybe all that could be mathemetized, but I just made trials until I could not find anymore.

4. Nov 28, 2007 #3
    Thanks Symbolipoint! Working with isomers can be a little tedious. But wouldn't that be 2,2-dimethylpropanal

5. Nov 28, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. 2,2-dimethylpentanal would have 7 carbons. A minor nomenclature error (in this forum at least).

6. Nov 28, 2007 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct. I really should have been more careful and gave the proper IUPAC name the first time. The isomer has three carbons in a straight chain part, justifying the "propanal" part of the name.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?