1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can C5H10O be drawn as an ether?

1. Oct 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sorry for so many questions!

Draw and name all of the structural isomers that are ketones with five carbon atoms in its longest chain and the molecular formula C5H10O . Can this molecular formula also have an aldehyde structure? If so, illustrate and name the aldehyde. Can this be drawn as an ether? Explain.

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew 3-pentanone and 2-pentanone for the ketones with the molecular formula C5H10O and I drew pentanal for the aldehyde with the molecular formula C5H10O. I can't figure out a way to draw an ether with that molecular formula. The one I drew has 12 hydrogens and 5 carbons. Can it even be drawn as an ether??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Can you think of a way of removing two hydrogens?

4. Oct 24, 2017 #3
    Maybe a double bond somewhere?

5. Oct 24, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Oct 24, 2017 #5

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What elements are required to make a ketone? An ether? Given your molecular formula, can you do both at the same time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted