1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw graph of quadratic function 87x - 700 - x^2

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    P = 87x - 700 -x^2

1. Draw a graph of P against x and estimate the maximum value of P and also calculate the coordinates of the stationary point and verify if it is maximum.

I am not very good at graph drawing or stationary points... any help people???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Quadratic

You've been told several times that you need to show work or at least a little effort when asking for homework help. We will not do your homework for you.

4. Nov 2, 2008 #3

I found P= 87X - 700 - X^2 after my calculations, I just need a little help on where to go from there??

5. Nov 2, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You must have lecture notes or a textbook to refer to. How does your notes suggest that one sketch such a function?

6. Nov 2, 2008 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You presented a function P, in general form. Check your notes and textbook to learn how to transform your function into standard form. Standard form for a quadratic function allows you to see how your function has changed from P = x^2. Standard form allows you to very easily identify the vertex of the parabola. You then can let P = 0 or
    0 = 87x - 700 -x^2 to find any "roots" or "zeros" of the function P.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?