Draw Thomson cross section in polar plot by matlab

In summary, to draw a Thomson cross section in polar plot using Matlab, you can use the <code>polarplot</code> function, which takes in angle and magnitude data and plots them on a polar coordinate system. The appearance of the plot can be customized by using different colors and line styles, adding labels and titles, and adjusting the axes properties. Data for the plot can be input by creating two vectors, one for angle data and one for magnitude data, and using the <code>polarplot</code> function. Multiple Thomson cross section plots can be overlaid on the same polar plot by using the <code>hold on</code> function. The plot can also be saved as an image in different file formats using the
Lisa!
Gold Member
Well I'm supposed to draw Thomson cross section in polar plot by MATLAB software. Have I done it right? I mean does this figure that I got seem to be in polar plot or not?

Code:
t = 0:.01:2*pi;
r =  2.8179e-13
x =  t,0.5*power(r,2)*(1+power(cos(t),2))
polar(t,x)
Thanks

Attachments

• plr1.jpg
    plr1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 605
  • th1.jpg
    th1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org

Have I posted it in the right place?

for your question. It appears that you have correctly plotted the Thomson cross section in polar coordinates using MATLAB. The resulting figure does indeed represent a polar plot, as the data is plotted on a circular grid with the angle as the independent variable and the distance from the origin as the dependent variable. Well done! It is important to always double check your results and make sure they align with the expected outcome. Keep up the good work in using MATLAB for scientific visualization.

1. How do I draw a Thomson cross section in polar plot using Matlab?

To draw a Thomson cross section in polar plot using Matlab, you can use the polarplot function. This function takes in the angle and magnitude of the data points and plots them on a polar coordinate system.

2. Can I customize the appearance of the Thomson cross section plot?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the Thomson cross section plot by using different color and line styles for the plot, adding labels and titles, and adjusting the axes properties.

3. How do I input my data into Matlab for the Thomson cross section plot?

You can input your data into Matlab by creating two vectors, one for the angle data and one for the magnitude data. Then, you can use the polarplot function to plot the data points on the polar coordinate system.

4. Is it possible to overlay multiple Thomson cross section plots on the same polar plot?

Yes, it is possible to overlay multiple Thomson cross section plots on the same polar plot in Matlab. You can use the hold on function to plot multiple sets of data on the same figure.

5. Can I save the Thomson cross section plot as an image in Matlab?

Yes, you can save the Thomson cross section plot as an image in Matlab by using the saveas function. This function allows you to save the plot in different file formats such as PNG, JPEG, or PDF.