Storing Dry Ice in a Freezer: Is it Safe?

In summary, it is generally safe to store 5-10 pounds of dry ice in a normal freezer, as long as proper precautions are taken. This includes sealing it in a bag and ensuring proper ventilation to prevent CO2 accumulation. It is also important to keep pets and young children away from the freezer due to potential CO2 exposure. However, it is important to be aware of the risks of CO2 exposure and to monitor CO2 levels when storing dry ice.
MACHO-WIMP
Hello,
is it safe to store approximately 5-10 pounds of dry ice in a normal freezer, because my grandpa came to town today from his elk hunting trip, and he seems to think so. Please comment, because I know that dry ice can be dangerous if used improperly. The dry ice is currently being stored in a freezer with a volume of 12 cubic feet and the dry ice is in plastic bags. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It will outgas carbon dioxide, so as long as you can handle that safely you are good to go. If you seal it in a bag, expect the bag to eventually fill up like a balloon and burst. If your freezer has a magnetic seal, expect it to pop the seal if the box is not otherwise vented. If it is a top loader, that will act like a relief valve.

But be sure that you don't get an accumulation in the volume of air that you might breath.

"But be sure that you don't get an accumulation in the volume of air that you might breath."

Remember that CO2 is denser then air so any gas will accumulate at ground level, it's probably prudent to keep pets and young children out of the room when opening the freezer.

Pkruse said:
But be sure that you don't get an accumulation in the volume of air that you might breath.

And be aware that CO2 levels as low as 0.5% may start to cause adverse effects like headaches, and above 5% can lead to rapid loss of consciousness or even death.

http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies/coalpower/cctc/EIS/mountaineer_pdf/Appendix_G_Volume2.pdf Table G-1.

10 pounds of CO2 in a small kitchen is enough to get more then 5% CO2 in the air. The CO2 will come out of the freezer even if you don't open it because of the pressure it builds up. So make sure there is enough ventilation. Keep the windows open.

1. Can I store dry ice in a regular freezer?

No, it is not safe to store dry ice in a regular freezer. Dry ice is extremely cold and can cause the temperature in your freezer to drop to unsafe levels, potentially damaging your freezer or its contents.

2. How long can dry ice be stored in a freezer?

Dry ice can be stored in a freezer for up to 24 hours. After that, it will begin to sublimate (turn into gas) and may cause over-pressurization in your freezer, leading to potential safety hazards.

3. Is there a specific temperature my freezer should be set to for storing dry ice?

Yes, your freezer should be set to -109.3°F (-78.5°C) or colder when storing dry ice. This will help prevent the dry ice from sublimating too quickly and causing potential safety hazards.

4. What precautions should I take when storing dry ice in a freezer?

When storing dry ice in a freezer, make sure to wear gloves and handle the dry ice with tongs or another tool. Also, ensure that the freezer is well-ventilated to prevent over-pressurization. Additionally, do not store dry ice in an airtight container as it can cause an explosion.

5. What should I do if I accidentally ingest dry ice that was stored in a freezer?

If you accidentally ingest dry ice that was stored in a freezer, seek medical attention immediately. Dry ice can cause severe burns to your mouth, throat, and digestive system. Do not induce vomiting and do not drink water as it can cause further damage.