Dual Spaces .... Friedberg et al, Example 4, Section 2.6

In summary, In Example 4 of Section 2.6 of "Linear Algebra" by Friedberg, Insel, and Spence, the first element of the given basis is $x_1 = (2,1)$ and the dual basis is defined as $\textsf{f}_i(x_j) = \delta_{ij}$. Therefore, $\textsf{f}_1(2,1) = \delta_{11} = 1$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the book: "Linear Algebra" by Stephen Friedberg, Arnold Insel, and Lawrence Spence ... and am currently focused on Section 2.6: Dual Spaces ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Example 4, Section 2.6 ...

Example 4, Section 2.6 reads as follows: (see below for details of Section 2.6 ...)View attachment 8743Can someone please explain (in detail) how/why \(\displaystyle f_1(2,1) = 1\) ... ?

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter
========================================================================================
To understand the context and notation of the above example it may help MHB readers to have access to the text of Section 2.6 ... so I am providing the same ... as follows ...
View attachment 8744
View attachment 8745
Hope that helps ...

Peter

Attachments

• FIS - Example 4, Section 2.6 ... .png
    FIS - Example 4, Section 2.6 ... .png
    10 KB · Views: 62
  • FIS - 1 - Section 2.6 Dual Spaces ... PART 1 ... .png
    FIS - 1 - Section 2.6 Dual Spaces ... PART 1 ... .png
    42.8 KB · Views: 58
  • FIS - 2 - Section 2.6 Dual Spaces ... PART 2 ... .png
    FIS - 2 - Section 2.6 Dual Spaces ... PART 2 ... .png
    37.7 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Can someone please explain (in detail) how/why \(\displaystyle f_1(2,1) = 1\) ... ?
This comes directly from the definition of the dual basis. In Example 3 of Section 2.6, Friedberg, Insel and Spence say "Note that $\textsf{f}_i(x_j) = \delta_{ij}$, where $\delta_{ij}$ is the Kronecker delta." In this example, the first element of the given basis is $x_1 = (2,1)$. So $\textsf{f}_1(2,1) = \textsf{f}_1(x_1) = \delta_{11} = 1.$

Opalg said:
This comes directly from the definition of the dual basis. In Example 3 of Section 2.6, Friedberg, Insel and Spence say "Note that $\textsf{f}_i(x_j) = \delta_{ij}$, where $\delta_{ij}$ is the Kronecker delta." In this example, the first element of the given basis is $x_1 = (2,1)$. So $\textsf{f}_1(2,1) = \textsf{f}_1(x_1) = \delta_{11} = 1.$
Thanks Opalg ...

Appreciate your help...

Peter

1. What is a dual space?

A dual space is the set of all linear functionals on a vector space. It is denoted by V* and is also known as the algebraic dual space.

2. How is a dual space related to a vector space?

A dual space is the set of all linear functionals on a vector space. It is related to a vector space through the concept of dual basis. The dual basis is a set of linear functionals that can uniquely determine a vector in the vector space.

3. What is the dimension of a dual space?

The dimension of a dual space is equal to the dimension of the vector space. This is because the dual space is a set of linear functionals, and the dimension of a linear functional is equal to the dimension of the vector space it acts on.

4. How is a dual space different from a vector space?

A dual space is different from a vector space in terms of the operations that can be performed on its elements. While a vector space allows for addition and scalar multiplication, a dual space allows for linear functionals to act on vectors in the vector space.

5. What is an example of a dual space?

An example of a dual space is the set of all linear functionals on the vector space of real-valued functions defined on a closed interval [a,b]. The dual space, in this case, is the set of all continuous linear functionals on the vector space.