1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra A book on tensors like Linear Algebra by Friedberg et al.

1. Oct 15, 2015 #1
    Hi, I am looking for a book that explains tensors and builds a working knowledge of tensors, like the book Linear Algebra by Friedberg Insel and Spence, which I thought explained things very well (if you haven't heard of it, its an intro. book on linear algebra). Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might find A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors, by Daniel Fleisch, helpful. I haven't read this book, but his other one on Maxwell's equations (in the same series) is great.

4. Oct 15, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the suggestion! I actually have A Student's Guide to Lagrangians and Hamiltonians which is by a different author but is still really good

5. Oct 16, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Linear algebra done wrong" by Sergei Treil is an even better introduction to linear algebra. It has a chapter on tensors. And it's available for free online. http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html

If you want something even easier to get you started, I recommend chapter 3 in "A first course in general relativity" by Bernard Schutz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted