Dual-tensors not in Lagrangian

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, Ryder defines the dual tensor as the anti-symmetric tensor \tilde F^{\nu \mu} = \epsilon^{\nu \mu \alpha \beta} F_{\alpha \beta}. He also defines the complex scalar field Lagrangian as L = (D_\mu \phi)(D^\mu \phi *) - m^2 \phi * \phi - \frac{1}{4} F^{\nu \mu}F_{\nu \mu} where D_\mu is the covariant derivative. There is no difference between the two products.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
In Ryder's text, he defines the dual tensor as the anti-symmetric [tex] \tilde F^{\nu \mu} = \epsilon^{\nu \mu \alpha \beta} F_{\alpha \beta}[/tex]. Later he plops down the complex scalar field Lagrangian as

[tex] L = (D_\mu \phi)(D^\mu \phi *) - m^2 \phi * \phi - \frac{1}{4} F^{\nu \mu}F_{\nu \mu}[/tex]

where [tex] D_\mu[/tex] is the covariant derivative. So the thing i was wondering is why can't you have terms like [tex] \tilde F^{\nu \mu} \tilde F_{\nu \mu}[/tex]? I did the work to figure out why you can't have terms like [tex] F^{\nu \mu} \tilde F_{\nu \mu}[/tex], but I just wanted to see what happens to the scalar term using two dual tensors.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope this answer doesn't make things worse. I think there is no difference between the two products.

[tex]\tilde F^{\nu \mu} \tilde F_{\nu \mu} = \epsilon^{\nu \mu \alpha \beta} F_{\alpha \beta} \epsilon_{\nu \mu \alpha \beta} F^{\alpha \beta}[/tex]

You can freely contract the epsilons on mu and nu to get
[tex]-2(\delta_{\alpha}^{\alpha} \delta_{\beta}^{\beta} - \delta_{\alpha}^{\beta} \delta_{\beta}^{\alpha})[/tex]
This formula is found in QFT by Mandl & Shaw first revised edition page 333, eqn (1.14c).
This is 0 when alpha is equal to beta, and -2 otherwise. I think there is an error somewhere in here because the factor should be 1, not 2. But the constant factor is irrelevant to the fact that there is no need to introduce the second product into the Lagrangian.

Last edited:
IIRC,
[tex]\tilde F^{\nu \mu} \tilde F_{\nu \mu}[/tex]

is equal to

[tex]F^{\nu \mu}F_{\nu \mu}[/tex]
times some constant.

I hope this answer doesn't make things worse. I think there is no difference between the two products.
[tex]
\tilde F^{\nu \mu} \tilde F_{\nu \mu} = \epsilon^{\nu \mu \alpha \beta} F_{\alpha \beta} \epsilon_{\nu \mu \alpha \beta} F^{\alpha \beta}
[/tex]

You can't do it exactly like that, indices can't repeat four times. The idea is correct though.

I did the calculation out and got

[tex] \tilde F^{\nu \mu} \tilde F_{\nu \mu} = \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \nu \mu} \epsilon_{\gamma \delta \nu \mu}F_{\alpha \beta}F^{\gamma \delta}
=-2(\delta^\alpha_\gamma \delta^\beta_\delta - \delta^\alpha_\delta \delta^\beta_\gamma)F_{\alpha \beta}F^{\gamma \delta}
= -2F_{\gamma \delta}F^{\gamma \delta} + 2F_{\delta \gamma}F^{\gamma \delta}[/tex]

But since [tex]F_{\delta \gamma} = F_{\gamma \delta}[/tex], everything vanishes.

Is this correct?

Pengwuino said:
I did the calculation out and got

[tex] \tilde F^{\nu \mu} \tilde F_{\nu \mu} = \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \nu \mu} \epsilon_{\gamma \delta \nu \mu}F_{\alpha \beta}F^{\gamma \delta}
=-2(\delta^\alpha_\gamma \delta^\beta_\delta - \delta^\alpha_\delta \delta^\beta_\gamma)F_{\alpha \beta}F^{\gamma \delta}
= -2F_{\gamma \delta}F^{\gamma \delta} + 2F_{\delta \gamma}F^{\gamma \delta}[/tex]

But since [tex]F_{\delta \gamma} = F_{\gamma \delta}[/tex], everything vanishes.

Is this correct?

[tex]F_{\delta\gamma} [/tex] should be an anti-symmetric tensor.
And so [tex]F^2[/tex] is proportional to [tex]\tilde{F}^2[/tex]

oops, true story. There went that.

1. What are dual-tensors?

Dual-tensors are mathematical objects that represent the relationship between two different coordinate systems. They are used to describe physical quantities that are independent of the choice of coordinate system.

2. How are dual-tensors different from regular tensors?

Dual-tensors and regular tensors are similar in that they both represent relationships between coordinate systems. However, dual-tensors have a different transformation rule compared to regular tensors, and their components are represented by a different set of basis vectors.

3. Can dual-tensors be represented in a Lagrangian?

Yes, dual-tensors can be represented in a Lagrangian. However, they are not always necessary to describe a physical system and may be excluded from the Lagrangian if they do not significantly contribute to the equations of motion.

4. Why are dual-tensors important in physics?

Dual-tensors allow for a more elegant and concise description of physical systems, particularly in the context of general relativity. They also play a crucial role in the theory of differential forms and provide a powerful mathematical tool for solving complex problems in physics.

5. What are some examples of physical systems that involve dual-tensors?

One example is the electromagnetic field, which can be described by the Faraday tensor, a dual-tensor. The stress-energy tensor in general relativity is another example of a dual-tensor, representing the energy and momentum of matter in space-time.