Dumb things said/dealt with at work

• Thread starter cpscdave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, a FAT test is being held tomorrow to check if a Modbus TCP connection can be read successfully. The client is bringing 20 people and it is curious what some of the other dumb things people have encountered at work.
cpscdave
So tomorrow we are having a FAT test to show successful reading of 1 single memory location over a Modbus TCP connection.
The client scheduled it for 8 hours and is bringing 20 people.

Makes me curious what are some other dumb things people have encountered at work??A few of my other favorites:
"Why is coding taking so long, I could do this in a day. I mean it's just drag and drop!"
"Why doesn't your controller have a memory location to indicate that its unpowered??"
I once got screamed at while at an industrial site, when I refused to touch a electrical panel that had 480Vac in it, that had been left open overnight, during a massive rain storm. (I'm an EE not an electrician, I'm not even legally allowed to touch panels at the best of times lol)

Likes Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org
One engineering manager said to me that he could appreciate the difficulties of programming in C because he wrote a BASIC program once. I had to smile it was so funny comparing a 40 line program to a 10,000 line program+library code.

His team of engineers always did everything to undermine our work with their BASIC programs because they believed they were faster and more reliable until they hit the 64K limit in PC DOS and were forced to switch.

One trying example was when they would swap out our C program that was required to monitor all 200 sensors in their bay with their BASIC version that monitored 20 only sensors but hey it did it faster so its better right? We couldn't get our program to run for 24 hours because they'd interrupt it and do the swap at night. A very frustrating time.

With respect to the electrical panel, during a VLSI test system demo, someone leaned on the emergency shutoff switch, a big red circular button in a recessed well on the wall about shoulder height. Boom, everything crashed like a meteorite had just hit the place.

Likes cpscdave and Pepper Mint
The scene: Airbus A340-600 leaking fuel from a tank panel after refuelling prior to a test flight.
The cause: Someone had loosened some of the screws during maintenance then realized that the panel was not among those to be removed and simply fastened them again.
No test flight until the seal is replaced, bear in mind that management is on the scene. One bloke heads off to obtain a seal. A short while later he returns, fresh seal in hand. When the packaging is opened, it turns out to be very different in appearance to what we know is to be installed.
Me: "This is the wrong seal."
Manager: "No, no. This is clearly a BETTER seal. I can tell by the shape."
And there I was thinking for years that part numbers and diagrams were the way to go.

Likes cpscdave and Drakkith

1. What do you do when a coworker says something offensive or insensitive?

It is important to address the issue directly and calmly. Talk to the coworker privately and explain why their words were hurtful or inappropriate. If the behavior continues, it may be necessary to report it to a supervisor.

2. How do you handle a coworker who constantly talks over or interrupts others in meetings?

First, try to address the issue politely during the meeting by saying something like, "Excuse me, I was not finished speaking." If the behavior continues, it may be necessary to have a one-on-one conversation with the coworker or bring it up to a supervisor.

3. What should I do if my boss makes a mistake or gives incorrect information?

If the mistake or incorrect information will not significantly impact your work or the company, it may be best to let it go. However, if it could have serious consequences, politely bring it to your boss's attention and offer to help find a solution.

4. How do you deal with a coworker who takes credit for your work?

It is important to document your work and accomplishments to have evidence to support your contributions. If your coworker continues to take credit, you may need to have a conversation with them or bring it up to a supervisor.

5. What is the best way to handle a coworker who constantly complains or has a negative attitude?

If the complaints or negativity are impacting the work environment or your productivity, it may be necessary to address it with the coworker or bring it to the attention of a supervisor. If possible, try to understand the root cause of their behavior and offer support or solutions to help improve their attitude.

Back