Dumbed-down Comedy is now Popular?

• Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centered around the trend of comedians using explicit language in their acts and how some people prefer a more intelligent and varied form of humor. It was noted that this trend has been around for a while, with a few exceptions, and that it has become more prevalent now that cable channels allow for uncensored performances. Some examples of comedians who use explicit language were mentioned, as well as those who prefer to keep their acts clean. The conversation also touched on the history of comedy and how it has evolved over time.
LightbulbSun
I've been noticing a trend recently with comedy on TV (specifically stand up). I notice comedians every five seconds use the expletive and that somehow draws laughs. Call me jaded, but I'd like to see a comedian command the language a little better and show a little variety in his act. It seems like every comedian is the same. Does anyone know how this trend even snowballed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think the trend in comedy is that the subject has to racey. Therefore there will be a lot of cursing when dealing with those subject matters. I personally have no problem with it and I think Chris Rock is one of the funniest men alive even though a lot of people are turned off by his constant use of the F-bomb and other expletives.

I prefer highbrow, intelligent humor like the Three Stooges...

russ_watters said:
I prefer highbrow, intelligent humor like the Three Stooges...

Ah Yes, They are known for their highly perceptive ancedotal riffs on american culture and I especially like it when they hit each other.

I was hoping this thread would be about Dane Cook, who certainly is dumbed-down, but I guess doesn't qualify as "comedy".

Nyuk nyuk!

Um, Richard Pryor (70's), Eddie Murphy (80's), howie mandel (90's)...

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Nyuk nyuk!

Dang it, you took my answer!

"Blue" comedy is nothing new, the only thing new is having more TV channels that will broadcast it. It's really meant for an adult audience in a comedy club setting.

I don't mind the language unless there is no real humor behind it. What I can't stand are comedians who really are not funny but try to be as shocking as possible. They think the shock value IS the humor, which doesn't work at all for me. SNL has gone through these cycles over the years. They have always gone for the bleeding edge, but if there's no real talent behind it, it's just crude and irreverant. If they have a good crew and good writers, they do just about anything and it still works.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Um, Richard Pryor (70's), Eddie Murphy (80's), howie mandel (90's)...

You forgot Lenny Bruce (60's). But I think the point of the OP is that it is now

Every Damn Body (00's)

Comedy has always been like that since the days of the jester.

Chi Meson said:
You forgot Lenny Bruce (60's). But I think the point of the OP is that it is now

Every Damn Body (00's)

There are still a few comedians out there who don't swear often as part of their act. The problem is that now the roles are reversed and to see these people you have to go to the underground comedy clubs.

I like Dane Cook, he is great IMO- the guy makes me laugh. If you want to call me stupid for finding him funny, whatever floats your boat. I have recently watched a pretty cool comedian named Russel Peters- He does swear but not much and his subjects stem basically from races and the differences/similarities they share. He is not raciest and finds culture rich, travels the world and knows much about the different people in the world-
On a cruder note Joe Rogan has some pretty saucy stuff- funny as heck though.
Peters link:
Rogan link(Crude)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate Dane Cook, but I've been told that I do a good impression of him.

Dane Cook was good for about a week. Then his shtick got really old, really quick.

There are good comedians out there that don't swear much at all. Look at Jim Gaffigan, Craig Shoemaker, Frank Caliendo and Mitch Fatel to name a few. The swearing is a tool that, if used correctly, is pretty funny. Take Eddie Murphy. His "Delerious" stand up was an instant classic. He swore quite a bit in it. Then he came back and did "Raw" which plain out stunk. The difference, I think, was he swore for the sake of swearing in "Raw."

I like George Carlin, but I would prefer that he not swear so much.

I more of a Will Rogers kind of person.

It's the birthday of humorist Will Rogers, (books by this author) born near Claremore, Oklahoma (1879), who started out in vaudeville, performing rope tricks for the audience, but he talked to the audience between tricks and often made them laugh. He didn't want his jokes to grow stale, so his wife suggested that he read the newspaper everyday before performing, and make jokes about whatever was happening in the world. That was the beginning of his career as a so-called "Cowboy Philosopher." He went from being a Broadway showman, to a Hollywood actor, traveling public speaker, radio commentator, and newspaper columnist. His career as a newspaper columnist only lasted for 13 years, but in that time he managed to publish more than 2 million words. His column was syndicated in almost 400 papers; it was the most widely read column of its day.
Coutesy of the Writer's Almanac - http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/programs/2007/10/29/#sunday

http://www.willrogers.org/

You used to see a lot more "clean" acts, because if they wanted to be televised, they had to clean up their language to get past the network censors. As soon as cable came along, and they started to be able to do their acts uncensored on channels like HBO, you would see much more of the foul language showing up. A lot of them really could do their acts cleaner and be just as funny, but since they don't have to worry about censors, they don't bother.

Coincidentally, I just got Bob Sagat's "That Ain't Right" HBO compilation and watched all I could handle this afternoon (about 10 minutes in 2 minute spurts). Not funny. He actually comes out and acknowledges in the first few minutes that his purpose is to be funny by being the antitheses of the persona that made him famous. The even claims Tourette's Syndrome. Thing is - a string of curse words is not, on on its own, a joke. He's not funny.

James Carlin, however - very funny.

Astronuc said:
I like George Carlin, but I would prefer that he not swear so much.

My first exposure to Carlin was his seven words that you can't say on TV.

Why is Dumbed-down Comedy now Popular?

maybe it's because the republicans were in control most of the last seven years?

russ_watters said:
Coincidentally, I just got Bob Sagat's "That Ain't Right" HBO compilation and watched all I could handle this afternoon (about 10 minutes in 2 minute spurts). Not funny. He actually comes out and acknowledges in the first few minutes that his purpose is to be funny by being the antitheses of the persona that made him famous. The even claims Tourette's Syndrome. Thing is - a string of curse words is not, on on its own, a joke. He's not funny.

I personally thought some of his guitar songs were funny.

It's not just the expletives every five words, but the lack of variety in subject matter. The typical stand up act goes something like this: sex-the difference between black and white people-sex-difference between a woman and a man-sex. BOOOORRING!

What is "Dumbed-down Comedy"?

"Dumbed-down comedy" refers to comedy that is considered to be simple, lowbrow, and lacking in intellectual depth or complexity. It often relies on crude humor, physical gags, and easy punchlines to make people laugh.

Why is it now popular?

Dumbed-down comedy has become popular due to its accessibility and widespread appeal. It requires less effort and thought to understand and can provide quick laughs and entertainment for a wide range of audiences.

Is it harmful to society?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it largely depends on personal opinions and beliefs. Some argue that dumbed-down comedy perpetuates harmful stereotypes and reinforces negative societal norms, while others argue that it is simply harmless entertainment.

What impact does it have on comedy as an art form?

Dumbed-down comedy has been criticized for dumbing down the standards of comedy and lowering the bar for what is considered funny. It may also limit the creativity and originality in comedy as it relies on tried and tested formulas to appeal to a wider audience.

Are there any benefits to dumbed-down comedy?

Some argue that dumbed-down comedy can provide a sense of escapism and stress relief for people, especially during difficult times. It may also serve as an introduction to comedy for those who are not familiar with the genre and help them develop a sense of humor.