Dynamic Event Horizon: The Effects of Tidal Gravitational Forces on Black Holes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
qwe
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
as "tidal gravitational forces" ripple outward, does that not change the curvature of space, making the region around the black hole very dynamic? so wouldn't the event horizon not be a sphere, but rather a wavy dynamic structure? because the "measured gravity" at a specific radius out at any given point would constantly change?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Curvature of space is really quite complicated. In fact, we only have a handful of exact solutions to the Einstein Field Equations. Most of the time, people just work with numerical approximations. I have no first hand knowledge of whether passing gravitational distortions would affect the EH of a black hole. I would suspect that it would, but I really have no proof of this.
 
so wouldn't the event horizon not be a sphere, but rather a wavy dynamic structure?
I don't have the details at hand, but any perturbation of the EH fades away very quickly, by emitting gravitational waves. It's a matter of seconds for spacetime to calm down and the EH being spherical again.
 
if the math actually says it is a matter of seconds, then it would look sort of like a spherical liquid (if we could visualize the EH that is) with a wavy surface